Haha! First All-Grain in the mash tun!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mew

Reaction score
Everything's goin' pretty well except I think I need a better thermometer. It kept jumping all over the place between 150 and 155. Probably just hot spots. It's just a simple APA, a good place to start.

Sweet! Congrats on the 1st AG :mug: - The only problem I had was the wait to drink it! APA is a great 1st time AG to brew. Keep us posted.

Whoo-hoo! Congrats! You might be tired when it is all finished, but you'll feel great! Welcome to the AG dark side!:rockin:

okay, I thought my wort was clear when it went into the kettle, but now I see a few chunks of stuff, maybe proteins or grain bits. Will this affect the taste of the brew? Is it supposed to happen?

There is definitely a lot more trub in here than my normal extract batch. That may just be an all-grain thing, but I think my recirculating could have been executed a little better.

BTW, I was pretty pleased with my SG of 1.064 and efficiency of 70%. There are a few things I can do to up my efficiency, though. Next time I'll try for 75%.

mew said:
There is definitely a lot more trub in here than my normal extract batch. That may just be an all-grain thing, but I think my recirculating could have been executed a little better.

Mine had considerably less. Did you skim off the hot break? Strain the runnings into your primary?

I whirlpooled and siphoned, but I think some of the trub got mixed in while I was siphoning. I also used a lot of pellet flavoring hops. Even with the extra trub it was a great experience. I'm glad that there is room for improvement; it gives me something to shoot for.

You should be okay. I recirculate for ~30-40 mins., but I also use a S/S strainer when I run the wort from the mash tun into my brewpot.

Back