Greg Noonan Brewing pioneer RIP

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glibbidy

Reaction score
I just got word through the Vermont brewing community that Greg Noonan passed away in his sleep last night. He will be greatly missed. He was a true asset to the brewing community homebrew and professional alike.
Here's to you Greg.

Wow, damn. That's a real loss for the brewing community. How old was he?

I have a TINY bit of smoked stout, a beer that was at least inspired by his, that I'll raise tonight.

This came from the Beer Advocate site, via the Foam Rangers email list:

"Greg Noonan has passed away
I hate to be the first to post this. I went to the Vermont Brew Pub
for lunch today, and the pub was closed with a lone sign standing out
front:
Greg Noonan
March --- 1951 - Oct. 11th 2009.
I was told he had passed during the night. This is a horrible loss. My
thoughts go out to his family."

I cannot even estimate how many times I have reached for New Brewing Lager Beer, as well as the original edition, and his Scotch Ale is among the best in the Classic Beer Styles Series. Raise a glass in his honor tonight, brewers.

TL

Well, I just double-posted the same news in General Beer, but it can't be seen enough. It's a real shame, losing Noonan. His writings have been essential to my brewing. I'll definitely raise a glass in his honor tonight.

TL

I have a lager in my fridge right now. Not my own, as I'm not yet to the lager brewing stage. However, I was looking at his book recently and thought about adding it to my library so I could learn more about brewing lagers.

I shall hoist the pint tonight to his memory!

EDIT: DANG, I just realized that he wrote the Scotch Ale book too!! I love the style and was going to get that one as well. Man, so much knowledge gone. At least he was kind enough to write it down for us before he departed! Thank you sir! :mug:

I will hoist a pint in the morning after work. We were at the brewery last winter and made it a point to stop by. I picked up his lager book when I got back out west. He will be missed.

Sad news indeed. If there is beer in heaven (and I truly hope there is) It just got a lot better.

I'll hoist one in Greg's honor this weekend.

Greg was a mentor and brewing hero for me. We met on a hotel balcony at the GABF in 1989 over a keg of Old Fog Horn. Boy we drank a lot that night. He encouraged me to take the leap into the pro game and was always there when I called. His Brewing Lager Beers was the easily the most influential book in my development as a brewer. I actually had one of those weird premonitions on Sunday about him. May he rest in peace and may his family be comforted.

Back