Would like some beer opinions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HBHoss

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
please.
Went to a BevMo today and picked up 4 interesting sounding beers with pretty cool bottles and was wondering if anyone has heard of them and if they had tasted some of them, what their opinion was.

1. Altenmunster Maibock from Germany

2. Drake's Imperial Stout from Bay area California

3. St. Sebastiaan Grand Reserve Belgian Ale from Belgium

4. Fischer Amber Tradition from France.

I have had St. Seb's before. Its just OK, nothing special, and for the price, would much rather get something else

Altenmünster Maibock is the shiz-bam-diggity! of course, i love most bocks and a lot of german beers, for that matter. rich, malty...you'll love it.

I don't like ANY of Drake's beers that I have tried, unfortunately...they all have the same bad taste, like they use the same hops or don't clean their water or something. I don't think i've ever tried a single dark beer, however...i didn't even know they made a stout

:drunk:

I don't think i've ever tried the St. Sebastian...let me know how it is!

Fischer Amber is a great beer. The blonde is good, too. they have a nice grainy mouthfeel, rich and thick. i have a few every now and then when i stop by a particular liquor store.

Altenmünster Maibock is the shiz-bam-diggity! of course, i love most bocks and a lot of german beers, for that matter. rich, malty...you'll love it.

I don't like ANY of Drake's beers that I have tried, unfortunately...they all have the same bad taste, like they use the same hops or don't clean their water or something. I don't think i've ever tried a single dark beer, however...i didn't even know they made a stout

:drunk:

I don't think i've ever tried the St. Sebastian...let me know how it is!

Fischer Amber is a great beer. The blonde is good, too. they have a nice grainy mouthfeel, rich and thick. i have a few every now and then when i stop by a particular liquor store.

Cool, thanks. Trying to expand my beer taste buds. :)

I will disagree with Drake's. I like some of their stuff. I am sure that's from the old ownership, but they were just bought out, so things might change. I guess we'll see what your tastebuds say!

I'm not a huge Fischer fan, but the Amber is ok. I think their blonde is pretty unimpressive. Is it a flip top bottle? Even if you hate it, you have a neat bottle! I used a blonde bottle last night.

That maibock is a good maibock. For the style, I don't have any complaints. If you read the style guidelines, I doubt you'd find any surprises.

And the St. Sebastian is probably the best of the bunch. It is strong, but pretty crisp. I pick up a lot of fruit notes, and I would probably drink that again sometime. If I recall, you might have a hard time realizing this is a 10% beer by the way it tastes.

I will disagree with Drake's. I like some of their stuff. I am sure that's from the old ownership, but they were just bought out, so things might change. I guess we'll see what your tastebuds say!

I'm not a huge Fischer fan, but the Amber is ok. I think their blonde is pretty unimpressive. Is it a flip top bottle? Even if you hate it, you have a neat bottle! I used a blonde bottle last night.

That maibock is a good maibock. For the style, I don't have any complaints. If you read the style guidelines, I doubt you'd find any surprises.

And the St. Sebastian is probably the best of the bunch. It is strong, but pretty crisp. I pick up a lot of fruit notes, and I would probably drink that again sometime. If I recall, you might have a hard time realizing this is a 10% beer by the way it tastes.

I made sure and got all flip top bottles so at least if I didn't enjoy the beer I'd get some bottles to refill :) I'll let you know what I think. Since we have a slight disagreement on the Drake, I think I'll start with that tonight. :mug:

Haven't had the Drake's in 4-5 years, but when I lived in the Bay area, I liked it. Nowhere as good as Black Panther, though.

:D I figure I'll never know unless I try it. So now I know. :) I've tried various SN beers and liked them all. I've tried a few other brands but figured it was time to really expand.

Of course. Expanding the palate is always a good thing. Sierra Nevada makes good beer, hands down. They stick to style and nothing is a surprise, but I still think that SNPA is the definitive APA.

I'm a big fan on the St. Sebaastian Dark, I haven't had the lighter ones though. The bottles make great classy mead bottles.

I liked the bottle so even if I don't like the beer I'm good. :) This place only had one true Mead and they were out of it. :( They had another "Mead" but it was a white wine and mead combo so I didn't buy it.

St. Sebastiann did well for me tonight. Liked the flavor better than the Drake RIS. Smooth but crisp. Can't quite express the flavor though.

Back