Newbie Q- storage and fizz

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benniakka

Reaction score
Is it possible to store kombucha in the fridge without losing the fizz? The first couple batches I've made have been super fizzy at first after about 6 days, but lose their fizz when I seal and refrigerate them.

My goal is to have fizzy, cold kombucha. What do I need to change?

They should be more carbonated when chilled but might be harder to notice.

At room temperature, when you open the bottle, they should lose co2 fast, I.e. You open the bottle and see it fizz up.

The cold ones hold their co2 and the liquid should taste carbonated but not display the fizzy action.

I would say if it doesn't taste carbonated when chilled that you should add more sugar before bottling.

Only made kombucha once, but lots of cider/mead/beer experience. I don't think that age would lessen co2 though.

CO2 dissolves more in a liquid at colder temps. The CO2 seeks equilibrium, so there is an even amount of the gas above the liquid as in the liquid. When you open the cap and hear the *psst*, you just changed the balance by decreasing the pressure above the liquid. The contact area the gas has with the liquid alters the rate it dissolves too. Only so much can pass into the liquid at a time. so if you have your bottle filled to the cap, it will take longer for the same amount of gas to dissolve than if you filled to just below the neck where the surface area was greater.

Kyt- that makes sense. I bottled it in a mason jar because I don't have "bottling" bottles yet- I do have some gt's bottles I could try though. Thanks!

Kyt- that makes sense. I bottled it in a mason jar because I don't have "bottling" bottles yet- I do have some gt's bottles I could try though. Thanks!

You don't want to bottle in mason jars if you're using the metal lids, they can rust out. I'm not sure they're designed to hold that much pressure either, I've not tried to blow one yet.
The GTs bottles are really hit and miss. I have about 2 dozen I rotate through and I haven't been able to get any batches to carbonate in any GT bottle, even with replacement polyseal caps. Other people report no problems with them. The caps that come on the GT bottles aren't designed to be used multiple times. There's a potential fix for this from Linda Gurule, place a plastic sandwich bag over the mouth of the bottle, then put the cap on. Then put a rubberband around the neck to hold the bag down. Several people have had good success with Linda's method where the GT lid seal is worn out.

Local bars give these away around here. Also purchasable in LARGE bottle shops:

image-1080460812.jpg

I didn't get good carbonation until I started using flip top bottles. Grolsch beer bottles...i picked them up at my local beer/bottle redemption store.

Is there a reasonably priced online source for those bottles?

Yes, but not really because shipping usually ends up costing as much as the case.
I found a case of EZ Cap 500ml swing tops for $18, which is pretty good, but shipping for a large heavy box was $17 :cross:

I picked up the same case of bottles from a local homebrew shop for $22.50 + tax.
I think if you can find a case for under $25 with free shipping you'll be doing pretty good.

Grolsch 16oz 4-packs are usually $6.99

Similar price, but full of beer :) not my favorite beer though, just a plain lager I think.

I'm going to have to try finding some of those- thanks! I also just tried the plastic wrap thing- so far so good :)

Back