Coors light!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petree3

Reaction score
I owe my buddy big! All he will take is 5 gallons of my best Coors Light clone. I have never even thought about trying this as I don't like it and I know it's difficult but like I said my buddy got me out from between a rock and a hard place. At least at these temps a lager should be pretty easy! Any idea how to clone this one guys?

I owe my buddy big! All he will take is 5 gallons of my best Coors Light clone. I have never even thought about trying this as I don't like it and I know it's difficult but like I said my buddy got me out from between a rock and a hard place. At least at these temps a lager should be pretty easy! Any idea how to clone this one guys?

The haters will hate.

if you search through the recipe section there are some decent light lager recipes. Though fair warning they are one of the tougher styles to master.

Edit: quick search gives us a extract brew. Seems kind of far off from actual Coors but might be enough to please your friend.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/co...ended-up-being-very-awesome-take-look-230070/

Good luck....American Light Lagers are extremely hard to brew. You are trying to brew a beer that is crystal clear and has virtually no flavor. That means ANY flaw will be stick out like a sore thumb. Why not try something like a Cream Ale instead?

Good luck friend. This is truly a monumental task. I have been reasearching other peoples attempts and what is written about it it seems to me tvst you should shoot for a low og, like 1030s or so. Very low ibus, like less than 10. People seem to get good results with severely overpitching yeast. Ferment very cold but do a d rest and If you have the means I recommend filtering through a very very fine filter and force carbing. This is a style I have given slot if time to researching and planning but gave only tried once. I intend to give It a go again very soon. Good luck

You will need to mash low and maybe step mash if you can. Coors light cans float in water so it probably finishes below 1.00. I would try to find a lager yeast that has a very slight pear and or red apple ester. To me, that's what makes Coors Light's flavor unique among the light beers. Good luck. Post your results.

You will need to mash low and maybe step mash if you can. Coors light cans float in water so it probably finishes below 1.00. I would try to find a lager yeast that has a very slight pear and or red apple ester. To me, that's what makes Coors Light's flavor unique among the light beers. Good luck. Post your results.

Edumacate me, please. What does FG have to do with a can floating in water that something like, I dunno, carbonation doesn't explain? :drunk:

Use some corn as an adjunct. Mash on the low side. Use some beano or amyloglucosidase. Lots of clean lager yeast (Am. Lager?) and pitch/ferm on the cold side of the recommended temp.

Really though, I'm all for experimentation, so more power to you. If I was to use up a brew session in this extreme sense (I wouldn't - why not make a Dortmunder? :) ), I'd skip the beano and make Coors orig.

I'd buy him two cases. Not worth the time, money or effort. If I'm spending money to homebrew, and my time, I'm not making coors light. and it would be a good time to discuss how you're just a humble homebrewer that could only wish to brew a beer as clean and consistent as a macro light lager.

That being said you can make light lager. I'd try to meet him half way and make a beer you know how to make, that you think he'll like.

Edumacate me, please. What does FG have to do with a can floating in water that something like, I dunno, carbonation doesn't explain? :drunk:

If the average density of the beer (or any liquid) plus the can is less that the density of equal volume of water it is replacing, it will float. Carbonated or not.

BJCP guidelines outline the requirements of numerous styles of American lagers. Look em up. I think you'll get a real good idea. :mug:

Back