Lactose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wormraper

Reaction score
sooo, thinking of making a milk stout, but the recipe I was looking at calls for a full lb of it and my LHBS sells it for $1 and oz ($16 just for the lactose sugar!!!) and was wondering if there was a cheaper supply source .. found THIS on amazon (6 one pound bags for $23.94) but wasn't sure if it was the same stuff I'd need to brew with

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EO688Y/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
$1 an oz is crazy. Go to one of the online stores, Midwest, Austin, Northern Brewer. It is around $2.50 a lb. You will have to pay shipping, so you might want to place a bigger order to make it worthwhile, but it will be cheaper than $16.

Edit: Sorry, more like $4.50 a lb.

yeah, I thought $16 for a lb of lactose was a TAD high. good looks like I can get it elsewhere. the link I posted though? the NOW lactose sugar on amazon.. it's 6 lbs for $24 and I get free shipping due to prime membership. is it the same type of stuff ??? cuz buying it for $3.98 a lb is a tad better than having to spend $5-$8 for shipping from one of the online places.

I would go back to your local store and discuss it with him, maybe it was just mismarked, or at least point out what going prices really are, if he is interested in staying in business his prices have to be within reason, If it is $5 online, I would be willing to shell out around $7- $7.50 or so. he does have to make a profit to pay the bills, just not a ridiculous profit.

I would go back to your local store and discuss it with him, maybe it was just mismarked, or at least point out what going prices really are, if he is interested in staying in business his prices have to be within reason, If it is $5 online, I would be willing to shell out around $7- $7.50 or so. he does have to make a profit to pay the bills, just not a ridiculous profit.

I agree!

My LHBS (a deli with a few brewing ingredients) sells lactose for $1 a POUND! I wouldn't expect him to go that low, but since 1# is a common amount in milk stouts, $16 is ridiculous! That's more than 3# of DME!

lol, called back in today. I made a mistake. it's not $3.99 a 4 ounce packet. he sells it at $2.49 a 4 ounce packet. I must have read the shelf tag beside it wrong. So it's about $10 a lb

lol, called back in today. I made a mistake. it's not $3.99 a 4 ounce packet. he sells it at $2.49 a 4 ounce packet. I must have read the shelf tag beside it wrong. So it's about $10 a lb

$10 a pound is still a ripoff, Id order some supplies and some lactose to make it worth your while.

Cheers :mug:

$10 a pound is still a ripoff, Id order some supplies and some lactose to make it worth your while.

lol, that's what I was thinking. like I said earlier..... Is lactose sugar ... lactose sugar?? cuz I can order 6 lbs for $24 on amazon (link is in my opening post) which is basically $4 a lb ... I just didn't know if there was a difference between brewing quality lactose sugar and what was on AMZ.

the stuff you linked to is the right stuff

sweeeeet, $3.99 a lb is much more appealing. I'm gonna check at my local farmers market to see if I can find it cheaper but since I LOOOOOOOOOOVE milk stouts I can see going through 6 lbs pretty fast :D

lol, that's what I was thinking. like I said earlier..... Is lactose sugar ... lactose sugar?? cuz I can order 6 lbs for $24 on amazon (link is in my opening post) which is basically $4 a lb ... I just didn't know if there was a difference between brewing quality lactose sugar and what was on AMZ.

That looks like lactose to me, lol but Im not sure if there is different kinds of lactose to tell you the truth.

You might want to check any local health food stores, they seem to have lots of brewing ingredients and don't even know it, most of the time cheaper than online brew stores too.

Latest posts

Back