Sight gauge on your MT good or bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akthor

Reaction score
Well I have already ordered three sight gauges with bulkheads from BobbyM but in perusing the forums yesterday I read where someone said a sight gauge on the MT was unnecessary and that it would be prone to clogging anyways??? Is this true?

My MT is a converted sankey keg and it will have a Jaybird false bottom.

I have a sight glass on my MT and love it. Its never clogged up, but it does get some grain particles in it. The biggest advantage for me is when I'm fly sparging I just place a small piece of tape on the sight glass to mark the high water mark. Then its just a matter of adjusting the ball valves to get them even. No more taking the top off to check water levels and letting out heat.

heres a pic.

038.jpg

I have a jaybird 12" fb on the way. It will go in Sankey keg. I am not sure if the sight guage could be installed below the FB.

You guys that are using sight gauges on your MT are they installed below the FB in your MT?

I have a jaybird 12" fb on the way. It will go in Sankey keg. I am not sure if the sight guage could be installed below the FB.

You guys that are using sight gauges on your MT are they installed below the FB in your MT?

Mine is located 3 1/2" off the bottom of the keg. I find it comes in handy, and I never had a clog.

Back