Best Ever IPA Recipe Suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BullGator

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm an extract brewer (going to go to mini mash soon) and am looking for a IPA recipe that is the best ever. I made a recipe from here last called Hop Juice and it was very good (I may just brew it again). But wanted to get some other suggestions. I like extremely high hoppy beers. I am not necessarily looking for an IPA with a high ABV content but one with an over the top hop flavor/aroma. I am thinking about just getting an IPA recipe and just adding in a extra 2oz or so of hops.

One of my favorite beers is Sweetwater IPA. I have seen a clone recipe on here that I was thinking about trying as well. Seems simcoe is used a lot in these variations.

Anyways, suggestions?

If I were you, I would just take the recipe that you brewed and tweak it a little bit. Don't be afraid to mess it up. Add a couple ounces of Cascades during the last 15-20 minutes of the boil to give it some floral notes. Also, you could try dry hopping to give it even more aroma. If you haven't dry hopped before, here is your chance to give it a run...It will make a big difference. My favorite IPA is PEAK Organic IPA. Hard to find.

I have made an IPA called Third Date IPA, courtesy of Shoultz Meyer Brewery. Here are the ingredients needed. ABV around 6.4

Briess Golden Light Liquid Extract 8 lbs, 0 oz
Briess 2 Row Caramel 10 1 lbs, 0 oz
Centennial Pellets 1 oz @ 60 mins
Centennial Pellets 1 oz @ 15 mins
Centennial Pellets 1 oz @ 5 mins
Centennial Pellets 1 oz @ 2 mins
Centennial Pellets 1 oz @ Dry
SAFALE US-05 American Ale 1 ea

Can you clarify what kind of hoppy you like? Highly bitter? Lots of hop flavor? Hop aroma?

Bell's Hopslam is very hoppy, but light on IBU (upper 60s). Stone ruination isn't as flavorful, but has 100+ IBU. Surly furious is another high bitterness, lots of aroma.

I have a beer that I used about 9oz of citra for a 5.5g batch, but is only mid 60 IBU. Amazing flavor and aroma, and perfectly balanced bitterness. If I move the additions a bit, it could be a 100 IBU, but slightly less flavorful beer.

Picking a favorite and hopping it up may be a good idea, but Adding a couple extra oz of hops can make a beer totally different depending on hop type and time of addition. Knowing what kind of hoppiness you want would help with recommendations.

I think more of the hop flavor and aroma. I spent all night going through most of the 110+ pages of Yoopers DFH 60min IPA page from above. I think I will give that a shot. thanks for the help.

I've made that recipe at least 20 times, and I still love it! The combo of amarillo/simcoe is just so wonderful. It's still one of my all-time favorites!

HI Bull....thats is exactly what i plan on doing....ive only done extracts so thats what im gonna do here...i found an IPA that is soooo good it is a relegious experience to me....peak organic ipa! So my plan is to either find a good recipe...or just get another kit....(ipa) and load it up with extra hops...but i dont know what peak uses...ive mailed them tho. Can you give me any ideas on how to get a nice strong hoppy flavor that continues all the way down like peak? You think i should add some extra hops AFTER the boil during the fermenting process??? thanks in advance..Bob

Back