Dry Extract vs. Syrup extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dodgertown

Reaction score
So, I have (2) 3lb bags of dry extra light malt, powder. I've never used it before, do I treat it the same as I would a can of malt extract?

I'm making a steam ale.

:mug:

I see, so I just pour it right it and stir it. Gotcha. Thanks.

Is one better then the other? Is there a flavor difference?

I think 6 lbs of DME equates to 7.2 lbs of LME. I prefer the DME myself; not for any reason related to performance, just personal convienence.

others prefer LME........ you'll develop your own preference as well

i just started using DME for starters and to add to LME to boost gravity

its super sticky so be careful not to get too much dust and try not to get too much on your hands

i found using a whisk helps eliminate a lot of clumping

others suggest adding 1/2 or so towards end of the boil (last 10-15min) to keep the color lighter

DME will clump together, but won't scorch. LME is much easier to add to the boil, but it can scorch & harden on your kettle. It's just a personal preference on which to use. You'll get the same results.

Have a stirring spoon in one hand & your bag of DME in the other. Slowly pour the DME in while stirring because it will clump together if you add too much at once. In my experiences, leaving it on or off the burner didn't make much of a difference on reducing clumping if you're already at a boil.

+1 on adding half at the end of the boil if you're looking for a lighter color.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

By making it a lighter color, will that make the beer thinner?

I'm pretty sure the body stays the same, its just a visual difference. People say that since the extract was already heated once during its dehydration at the manufacturer that boiling it a second time for our homebrews carmelizes the sugars more and cause them to darken. That's why you'll see a lot on here about late extract additions for lighter colored styles. One of the differences between dry and liquid extracts is that DME can make lighter colored beers because its processed differently and actually sees less heat than LME. I use both on a regular basis. Just whatever the recipe calls for but every one has their preferences.

is there a difference in flavors if you save some extract for the end of the boil as opposed to adding it all in the beginning or is it strictly appearance?

Adding it at the beginning will lead to more caramelized flavors. I prefer to add it at the end and control the caramel flavors with cartel malt. Another thing to note is that dme keeps much better than lme. So if there is any question of how ling the extract has been sitting in the lhbs, go with dme.

DME will clump together, but won't scorch. LME is much easier to add to the boil, but it can scorch & harden on your kettle. It's just a personal preference on which to use. You'll get the same results.

Have a stirring spoon in one hand & your bag of DME in the other. Slowly pour the DME in while stirring because it will clump together if you add too much at once. In my experiences, leaving it on or off the burner didn't make much of a difference on reducing clumping if you're already at a boil.

+1 on adding half at the end of the boil if you're looking for a lighter color.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

When using DME, my technique is to pour the DME into a (large) bowl before adding it. I have had issues with the steam of the boil causing my DME to clump in the bag, making it difficult to pour. To solve this I just put it into a bowl and pour it in slowly while stirring (with the burner off of course). No more clumps.:fro:

When using DME, my technique is to pour the DME into a (large) bowl before adding it. I have had issues with the steam of the boil causing my DME to clump in the bag, making it difficult to pour. To solve this I just put it into a bowl and pour it in slowly while stirring (with the burner off of course). No more clumps.:fro:

That's a good idea. Last time I used DME I got 95% of it out of the bag before it started to clump in the bag itself from the steam. I'm sure I lost a couple ounces due to that. However, I was making a barleywine targeted at 12.5%, so if it comes in slightly short, I won't be too disappointed.

I keep a pot on the other stove burner. When I'm ready to make a DME addition I first put it in this pot and add 1 quart of water. I stir this on high heat until it begins to boil at which point it becomes all liquid and I can easily pour it into the boil kettle with zero clumping. The additional water has to be factored into initial kettle volume and the target batch volume.

The few times I used LME I simply heated the sealed can in hot water (180F+). This really softens the syrup and it will pour and mix in the kettle much easier.

Back