a new way of carbonating?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arau

Reaction score
i thought of this the other day, but maybe it's been done before. as far as i know you can carbonate by priming before bottling and by injecting it.

but i thought, what about dry ice? you add a clump of dry ice to your brew (after testing with water so you know how much to add to get the right CO2 amount without it exploding) right before putting the cap on and violá. bubbly drink without any lees. :D

would this work?

hmm it seems tehre is already a thread about this and it is not advised.

but i don't want to carbonate my mead and still have yeast lying in the bottom. blaah

i have a soda streamer at home, would that work? just putting it in the bottle and squirting CO2 into it?

If you put enough dry ice into the bottle to carbonate your beer, it will explode. The dry ice sublimates far faster than the CO2 can be absorbed into solution.

well, its a very stupid idea, but yes, you can carbonate things with dry ice, I have done it, and they will explode. Those 20oz pop bottles will take an amazing amount of pressure and force the CO2 into solution fairly quickly. I found this out as a result of unsuccessful dry ice bombs.

Just dont do it, be anti Nike

The Soda Stream sounds like a good idea. You may have some foaming issues during carbonation (it's meant for plain water, right?), but it's far, far safer than putting dry ice into glass bottles.

EDIT: Here's a video showing someone carbonating white wine with a Soda Stream. It appears that it could work well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dry Ice will evaporate too quickly to work. Also, A chunk of dry ice will expand like 20 times it's size in gas. This is a recipie for a bottle bomb and wasted mead. Don't do it. Now for serving, I think it is a great idea. Just put in a glass and pour mead over it and instant chilled mead.

I have also seen some cool things with liquid nitrogen on tv. But tat WILL freeze the mead instantly as it does vodka, rum, most any alcoholic beverage no matter how much alcohol is in it.

Simply don't try it.

For an alternate method, I had though of the force carb method and then bottling. Hmm. That could be a way to carbonate, bottle, and not have yeast in it.

yeah, it was just a thought. they actually use liquid nitrogen when getting the yeast of out champagne. they turn it upside down and let it all fall to the bottom and then freeze the tip and open it. the pressure shoots away all the nasty **** leaving you with a clean yeast free champagne. too bad i don't have liquid nitrogen :/

as for force carbing, i have a soda streamer for bottled water but it makes rather coarse or big bubbles, not fine ones like in champagne and beer, but i suppose if you want bubbles, big ones are better than none at all

they actually use liquid nitrogen when getting the yeast of out champagne. they turn it upside down and let it all fall to the bottom and then freeze the tip and open it. the pressure shoots away all the nasty **** leaving you with a clean yeast free champagne. too bad i don't have liquid nitrogen :/

I've heard of a DIY version that uses an ice & salt water bath to do the same thing. Here's a brief description of the process:

Home made sparking wine

I've heard of people making fizzy grapes using the dry ice method you suggested. I've never tried it myself though. I was afraid I'd end up in some fail video on Youtube.

Dave

you don't think the ice would melt before the top of the bottle freezes?

You should be able to dip the bottle in a container of water and dry ice and freeze the neck before it sublimates. Just remember if all the water in the container freezes the pressure of the CO2 gas in the ice can make it explode.

I think this thread has taken another direction. Originally people were talking about putting dry ice into the bottle. Now people are talking about méthode traditionnelle which is a very old French method of making champagne by carbonating it naturally with yeast and removing the sediment plug by freezing the neck. Either way, both are cool topics. I would like to see somebody use a sliver of dry ice and try to carbonate that way. :p

Since this is a non-beer subforum and it might not be completely obvious, you can carbonate mead or other wines without any lees in the bottle by force carbonating them in a soda keg using bottled c02. This would require a couple hundred dollars worth of equipment but is safe, effective, predictable etc.

Since this is a non-beer subforum and it might not be completely obvious, you can carbonate mead or other wines without any lees in the bottle by force carbonating them in a soda keg using bottled c02. This would require a couple hundred dollars worth of equipment but is safe, effective, predictable etc.

Yeah people do use kegs/beer guns/counter-pressure fillers, I think that people are just having fun trying out new stuff. After all the wine, mead, and cider makers are sometimes the bastard children of brewing who try crazy stuff anyway. :ban:

I noticed Yuri's video used a plastic soda bottle. With the price of the honey involved and the time it takes to make & age a mead, the thoughts of putting it in a soda bottle and shaking it up gives me the shivers....

I noticed Yuri's video used a plastic soda bottle. With the price of the honey involved and the time it takes to make & age a mead, the thoughts of putting it in a soda bottle and shaking it up gives me the shivers....

Aren't soda bottles made of PET? This is the same stuff used to make Better Bottles, isn't it?

Aren't soda bottles made of PET? This is the same stuff used to make Better Bottles, isn't it?

Not sure, but plenty of people use 2 liter soda bottles to brew. It's just one of those "things" that people look down on. Like when I mentioned that I drink homebrew straight from the bottle and people gasped. Whatever works for you, I say! :mug:

Dry ice and water still wont get any colder than normal ice and water. Water is still limited to 0 celcius as it's freezing point, more or less. If you want to flash freeze the neck of the bottles use acetone and dry ice, -78 Celcius. You of course then are potentially introducing poisons into your drink.

There was something about ice and Calcium chloride I read about reaching -30 or -40 celcius when used as a slurry with just ice, no water involved.

Dry ice and water still wont get any colder than normal ice and water. Water is still limited to 0 celcius as it's freezing point, more or less. If you want to flash freeze the neck of the bottles use acetone and dry ice, -78 Celcius. You of course then are potentially introducing poisons into your drink.

There was something about ice and Calcium chloride I read about reaching -30 or -40 celcius when used as a slurry with just ice, no water involved.

Calcium Chloride, Magnesium Chloride, even Sodium Chloride mixed with ice can produce a liquid/ice slurry that will be anywhere from -20 to -40C. You could put dry ice in there to maintain the lower temperature over a more extended period of time, but that isn't usually necessary. This water ice/salt mix is traditionally what is done to produce the freezing baths for M.C. (or M.T.). If you tried the acetone/dry ice mixture I'd bet you'd find more bottles breaking from thermal stress than you'd successfully freeze for degorgement.

yes, mixing sodium chloride (normal salt) with ice water will cause the water's freezing point to lower drastically thus having super cooled water. i'm not sure what temp range it goes to but it's def in the minuses.

Not that I've ever tried this, but I suspect when the ice hits the room temp beer you will get some pretty violent bubbling and some of your beer will come out and make a mess.

...That's my best guess.

Back