Critique my recipe? Fortified coconut porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrkeeg

Reaction score
Hi all,
Never made a porter before, would like to build a smooth, full-tasting, chocolatey one that is relatively low on the harsher bitter coffee taste. I'd like to keep it not really sweet, but I have found that I need to balance chocolate malt with some carmel/crystal to balance the bite.

I think I will split it and fortify half with a bottle of malibu to give some coconut and rum flavour for winter warmth.

Any thoughts on this recipe for a 5 gal batch? I'm thinking mash around 152, and use either sa-04, or danstar windsor dry yeast.

Brewer: smith Email: - Beer: fortified coconut porter Style: Robust Porter Type: All grain Size: 5 gallons Color: 61 HCU (~25 SRM)
swatch.gif
Bitterness: 41 IBU OG: 1.072 FG: 1.018 Alcohol: 7.0% v/v (5.5% w/w)
Grain:

10 lb. American 2-row
1 lb. Toasted 2-row(1hr at 275)
.5 lb. American crystal 60L
.5 lb. American crystal 90L
.5 lb. American chocolate
.02 lb. Roasted barley
.25 lb. Rolled oats
.25 lb. Flaked wheat Mash: 75% efficiency Boil: minutes SG 1.055 6.5 gallons .2 lb. Molasses Hops: 1 oz. Centennial (10.5% AA, 60 min.)
.5 oz. Fuggles (4.75% AA, 30 min.)
.5 oz. Fuggles (aroma)
Thanks all!

I'm not a fan of Mailbu so I would add the coconut to the secondary. I did this with an AHS toased coconut porter kit and it turned out awesome.

I had a coconut porter when I was in Hawaii.

It said on the can that they use a little bit of roasted coconut, but really Im sure what gave it it's coconut milk flavor was lactose sugar.

I would look into using some of that.. mabye .5-1lb

It said on the can that they use a little bit of roasted coconut, but really Im sure what gave it it's coconut milk flavor was lactose sugar.

I would look into using some of that.. mabye .5-1lb

I'm trying to follow this. Why do you think the coconut flavor came from lactose?

I don't mind malibu.. in fact I thought the rum flavour might compliment well as well.

Also curious about the coconut... I can get shredded unsweetened at the grocer ... should I just toast it a bit and secondary? I was worried the oils in the coconut might hard the head.

brewed it today... came out a WONDERFUL colour. Hydrometer sample tasted very bitter, but that happens. Missed OG though... guess I didn't get the boil off I thought.

I did the AHS kit and I will say that I had a lot of loss in the secondary because the coconut does not/did not settle out very well. I only ended up with a little over 4 gallons or so so next time I will reconfigure for that additional loss. The SO is pushing for me to do this beer again so it might be soon.

If the SO requests it, it's best to deliver. That's how you can get the beer credit to buy ridiculous amounts of hops for your own Double IPAs.

I'm about a year late here, but how did the recipe come out? What would you do differently in your next batch?

The porter turned out quite delicious. I experimented (on a pint) with adding the Malibu, and it wasn't great.

Back