Went Dipnetting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeFlynn74

Reaction score
Damn was that fun. I wrote a quick and dirty note to describe the trip.

It was like Herding Cats

Seriously- If you want to laugh, cry and even accidentally catch some fish. I highly recommend dip netting with Larry, Curley and Moe.

Timeline- Friday 230. After making 37 trips to places I didn’t realize I needed to go I was finally ready to hit the road. I stop by work to pick up the Stooges. I get one in the car and another one goes back inside the building (probably to check his Google calendar). I get him and Al goes back inside to go the bathroom. I get him and Josh is out trying to chase a squirrel.

330 we are on the road. Apparently it was drive as slow as possible day. 45 seemed to be the upper limit as we cruised the great road down. We hit the St.Elias brewing company for some food about 715. Yes it took 4 hrs to drive to Soldotna we're in good spirits. Standing in line as it was a 20 min wait and ….. Wait. All is good. We order our food and begin telling stories. Beau was still trying to convince us he is in fact "cool" if that is what the kids are still calling it. Josh is looking for an exit. And I am telling them about the "woman" who was at the Home Brew store on Thursday making the guy working the cash register obviously uncomfortable. 2 hrs later and some slooooow service we leave. Good food and beer- but they need to do something about the service.

On the road again- we finally reach our destination! Kenai river delta. Luckily we find a spot and park. Its too tight for me to back the popup in so we unhook it as the other people in the lot look on. We pick up the trailer and back it in by hand. Moe- I mean Al is a big dude and you would like him when he is mad. The onlookers are amazed and amused as we setup camp. Everything ready we see that we have 40 min to fish. So we hurry and get our gear on.

Down at the beach we have 30 min. Josh, Beau and Al get in the water and begin netting. Beau gets a nice fat Red within 10 min. We strike out the rest of the time and fishing closes for the night. But hey the fish is a beauty!

Night fall we do some nice sunset walks on the beach and hang by the camp fire. It was roma…. Uh very manly! 2ish we turn in and get to the popup. Beau doesn’t have a sleeping bag or a blanket, but weird I have a big blanket. I think he planned that. So in a not gay way we shared a blanket. Al fell asleep while talking and we all drifted off to sleep with visions of beheaded salmon in our heads.

10ish am we awake. Slow and lethargic but anxious to get some fishing in. We catch about 7 and fishing is slow, head back to the popup and change into warm dry cloths. Apparently fishing was hot….. The stooges debate and decide they want to get home early and we begin packing. Though an hour later info about the tides changes our minds and we head back. 14 fish later and the cooler is packed to the "gills" with fish!. Little did we realize that cooler would weigh 900lbs. Dragging that cooler back the mile and half back to the car was work to say the least. But well worth it in the end. The drive home was dark rainy and much much faster but still 4hrs long. I got home at 3am and after 30 min of scrubbing the skin off my hands and arms I was finally clean enough to sleep in the bed.

I wish we had brought a camera there even though it probably would have gotten destroyed. But I did take some pics of the fish once we got home.

dscn1415.jpg

dscn1409.jpg

Nice haul there. My reheated leftover take-out Chinese food is jealous. :)

Man those are some nice fish! Though why are are the fins clipped? And are you planning on selling those or are they bound for the smokehouse/freezer??

Another reason to visit Alaska. :)

Tails are clipped so I cant sell them to a restraunt. The restraunts have to account for their fish with full tails. To make sure they buy them from legitmate sources.

Dipnetting is subsistance for AK residents. I could have taken 55. But I didnt even want to clean the ones I did take! lol

Beauty fish! They look so tasty, I'm going to have to go get some salmon at the fish counter (a sad facsimile, but it's what I got) and grill up some fillets this weekend. One of these days I will go to AK & fish for salmon, and I'll eat it raw right on the beach. Regards, GF.

You have no idea how much I miss Alaska. Hopefully I can land this job and I'll be back up there at least bi-annually. I plan on taking at least a day off the next time I'm up there and heading to my buddy's fishing spot somewhere around the Eagle River area with a fly rod and some local beer. Might even enter into the annual Moose lottery to do some hunting around Ft. Greeley.

Back