Wyeast Smak Packs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

80/-

Reaction score
I was planning on making a spiced wheatbeer this weekend, using the Belgian Wit smak pack yeast from Wyeast for the first time.

What I hadn't done was read the yeast instructions before hand - I only realised on Saturday afternoon that it might take up to 48 hours before the yeast is ready to pitch !

After a long wait all trhough Sunday when the pack only seemed to grow very, very slowly, the pack looked distinctly puffed out this morning, hopefully it will be ready to go by the time I get home tonight.

If it's not the full inch across they recommend when I get home tonight, do you think it'll be ok to pitch anyway? I'm away for the next two days so this is probably my last chance to use it.

80/-

I've successfully used the smack packs with only three hours between when I activated them and when I pitched. Sometimes they swelled up, other times they didn't, but they've always worked. If you read the package, it indicates that you don't have to wait for the package to swell before use - but, of course, you'll experience a longer lag time before the yeast starts fermentation.

bikebryan said:
If you read the package, it indicates that you don't have to wait for the package to swell before use - but, of course, you'll experience a longer lag time before the yeast starts fermentation.

Thanks, I don't have the pack to hand, but I'm pretty sure it was phrased in way that strongly recommended that you wait until the pack had swollen up.

OTOH it's good to know that I can get on with the brew this evening

Cheers

80/-

I've only used one smack pack, but based on what I've read, the newer ones only take a few hours. I smacked mine and by time the wort was cold (about 5 hours) the pack was expanded and ready to go. The wort fermented, but it wasn't as active as past brews. I'm not sure its related to the smack pack.

My first smack pack took less than 2 hours to turn into a marshmallow. It swelled tight and did well when pitched.
MPW

Well by the time I got home last night it looked like the pack was fit to blow.

A bit of frantic activity in the kitchen and everything was all set - the only problem was that, as I needed to get to bed because of a 4.45am start today, I pitched the yeast with the wort a bit on the warm side - high 20's i recon.

Hopefully all will be well and by the time I get home tomorrow, the fermentation will be well under way.

Cheers again

80/-

Just thought I'd give an update for those interested.

When I got home tonight the kreusen had blown the lid part way off my fermentner and their was a large dollop of yeast head sitting on the garage floor.

Never had that happen with a dried yeast so the smak packs must have something going for them - despite the delay in it kicking off

80/-

Back