Clark's Apple Cherry Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RICLARK

Reaction score
My Take on cider, Everyone Around my Place loves it and its something a little diffrent to try.

4 Gallons Apple Juice (No Pres.)
1 Gallon Cherry Juice (No Pres.)
1 Lbs Dextrose or Brown Sugar which ever, I tasted no Difference.

2 Packets Pasteur Champagne

Primary for 14 days
Secondary for 21-28 days

Fermented at 72 degrees

Bottle with 3/4 Cup Dextrose

Tastes better the longer you Cold age it or "Lager" it.

I want to make a batch of cider like this... but I want to use cherry koolaid packets and splenda to back sweeten... i think it would be an interesting flavor combo!... heck I'll make a gallon and see how it goes.. :ban:

xcrusader said:
I want to make a batch of cider like this... but I want to use cherry koolaid packets and splenda to back sweeten... i think it would be an interesting flavor combo!... heck I'll make a gallon and see how it goes.. :ban:

The Cherry in mine is just for color, you can only taste the apple, But as long as what your using has no Preservatives in it try it, Then Let us know how it turns out! :mug:

When talking about Apple Juice with no Preservatives... I could only find juice from concentrate with Ascorbic Acid added (Vit C I think). Will this work for this recipe, or are we talking Organic Juice only where the only thing listed in the ingredients list is apples?

brandona33 said:
When talking about Apple Juice with no Preservatives... I could only find juice from concentrate with Ascorbic Acid added (Vit C I think). Will this work for this recipe, or are we talking Organic Juice only where the only thing listed in the ingredients list is apples?

I dont think that is a Preservative, usually I think they add sodium benzo....Something Dont know the exact word.

RICLARK said:
I dont think that is a Preservative, usually I think they add sodium benzo....Something Dont know the exact word.
Thanks for the quick reply! I had time to get to the store and start a Cider.
5 gal apple juice
.5 gal black cherry juice
2 # light brown sugar
Ale yeast I had left over from last week.

Airlock isn't bubbling yet, but we'll see

That sounds interesting. It doesn't really change the taste from straight apfelwein? I was thinking about cranberry juice for the last batch I threw together. But, I couldn't find anything that had less than 6 different things in it.

bigjohnmilford said:
That sounds interesting. It doesn't really change the taste from straight apfelwein? I was thinking about cranberry juice for the last batch I threw together. But, I couldn't find anything that had less than 6 different things in it.

Im not sure you can get it over there but, Old Orchard Makes 100% Pure Cranberry juice with no additives.

Well Gent's I did it, I am trying my first cider

I pitched the Dry English Ale yeast for a few days. (man I love my home made stir plates)

DSC_00071.JPG

I mixed up the following in my Korny Keg.
a) 4.5 gallons of all natural pressed Apple Juice (ala Trader Joes)
b) .5 gallons Cherry Juice (ala Trader Joes)
c) .5 gallons Distilled Water (ala Home Water Filter)
d) ahh crap what is missing, doh the freakin; 1 Lbs Dextrose or Brown Sugar

Time in to the Keg was March 27th 2008 @ 7:00PM PST
Time in Keg at this post is 22hr est. (slight activity out of the blow off tube)
SG is 1042
FG is (TBD)

I guess I will just have to wait and see, to bad I for got to add the Sugar as recommended....DOH! o-well learning is a process I guess.

waterkc said:
Well Gent's I did it, I am trying my first cider

I pitched the Dry English Ale yeast for a few days. (man I love my home made stir plates)

DSC_00071.JPG

I mixed up the following in my Korny Keg.
a) 4.5 gallons of all natural pressed Apple Juice (ala Trader Joes)
b) .5 gallons Cherry Juice (ala Trader Joes)
c) .5 gallons Distilled Water (ala Home Water Filter)
d) ahh crap what is missing, doh the freakin; 1 Lbs Dextrose or Brown Sugar

Time in to the Keg was March 27th 2008 @ 7:00PM PST
Time in Keg at this post is 22hr est. (slight activity out of the blow off tube)
SG is 1042
FG is (TBD)

I guess I will just have to wait and see, to bad I for got to add the Sugar as recommended....DOH! o-well learning is a process I guess.

Well it has not even been 24 hours yet you can still boil the sugar cool and dump it in. It will not hurt a thing or you can take the alternate route and leave it what you have. It ferments out from anywhere between 1.000 to .995 its up to you either way it will taste good.

Yeah I am going to leave it, give me and excuse to try it again. I don't have the sugar or I would do as you said.

Again Darn I have to do it again.

Thanks

So today this thing has finally slowed down from a bubble in the bottle every 2 or 3 mins to now only about 10 mins. So I will run the gravity on it and let everyone know. The SG = 1042 so I am hoping for a FG around what you stated.

thanks and I will let ya know when I keg it tomorrow.

waterkc said:
So today this thing has finally slowed down from a bubble in the bottle every 2 or 3 mins to now only about 10 mins. So I will run the gravity on it and let everyone know. The SG = 1042 so I am hoping for a FG around what you stated.

thanks and I will let ya know when I keg it tomorrow.

keep me posted, the final product is tastey and mine looked sort of like killians in the red color dept.

wonder how 2 or 3 gal of cherry juice would work?? You should get some taste out of it then?? Thinking the cherry juice would sweeten it up a little also?

FEARDIZ said:
wonder how 2 or 3 gal of cherry juice would work?? You should get some taste out of it then?? Thinking the cherry juice would sweeten it up a little also?

Ive never tried it but I will making 3 or 4 more batched in august for the fall I might make one like that.

OK so looking at my notes this is what i have listed, I orginally was wrong with 1042.

SG = 1044
FG = 1006
ABV = 4.99%

Not to bad, it's ready to drink right now, need some bubbles. but the wives like it. Next time it will have a much higher SG and I will add more Cherry Juice. It's very light in color.

But taste good.

Many thanks for the advice and recipe.

If you want to get the cherry flavor, skip the cherry juice and rack onto about 1-1.5# cherries per gallon in the secondary and let it go for about 2 weeks. You'll lose some liquid when you rack, but to me it's worth it. I use sour cherries and back sweeten a little (or a lot for my wife) when I do my cherry wheat beer, but that's just me

If you want to get the cherry flavor, skip the cherry juice and rack onto about 1-1.5# cherries per gallon in the secondary and let it go for about 2 weeks. You'll lose some liquid when you rack, but to me it's worth it. I use sour cherries and back sweeten a little (or a lot for my wife) when I do my cherry wheat beer, but that's just me

what type of cherries do you use?

I just need to chime in here....

Man I love my apflewein. For some reason, I taste a slight malty aftertaste, its probably me, but OH BOY DO I LOVE IT!

The Cherry in mine is just for color, you can only taste the apple, But as long as what your using has no Preservatives in it try it, Then Let us know how it turns out! :mug:

I bet if you rack it onto dark cherries the cherry flavour would prevail...

Back