So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm brewing the "Crazy Ivan Russian Imperial Stout" this weekend....still working on the recipe, but so far I've got the following:

12# Maris Otter
1# table sugar
6oz Crisp roasted barley
5oz Briess chocolate
4oz Briess roasted barley
4oz C-120

4oz Nugget at 60min, 30min, 10min, and 3min

S-04 or Nottingham yeast

I'll review the recipe tomorrow when I sober up and see how it goes :) Homebrew is such great fun!

IPA today
10# Pale Ale malt
1.5# Vienna
0.5# C40

1oz Columbus 60 min
1oz each Chinook/Liberty 5 minutes
1oz Cascade flameout
will dry hop with 2oz Cascade

Porter tomorrow

7# Pale Ale malt
1# Munich
11oz Chocolate malt
5oz Black Patent

1oz Challenger 60 minutes
1oz Challenger 5 minutes

Brewing first all grain batch. Biermunchers centennial blonde. I have brewed the extract version of this a couple times and wanted to use this popular recipe as my first AG batch.

Think I'll whip up a Zombie Dust clone and watch some baseball on the porch. Love these long daylight hours, no rush to get going by noon to beat the dark.

Just started the boil on a Saison. Tomorrow is a 5% oatmeal stout, actually it's a yeast starter for a 11% imperial stout in a couple of weeks.

Brewing a Selin's grove brewing shade mountain stout clone a week late for Father's Day.

image-1695496640.jpg

i'll be brewing my first BIAB tonight and tomorrow. going to do a IPA first to get the hang of it and then Cream of Three Crops. buckets are empty so i best get at it.

Good luck with your efficiency!!

Hope it went well for you. Seems like I always have a few slight mishaps, mostly
wort spills. I did get my efficiency up 10%. Still only 61% but a nice jump:rockin: I split my grains between 2 five gallon pots, with 3 gallons each for my mash, and kept them split for the boil.

Dovage said:
Hope it went well for you. Seems like I always have a few slight mishaps, mostly
wort spills. I did get my efficiency up 10%. Still only 61% but a nice jump:rockin: I split my grains between 2 five gallon pots, with 3 gallons each for my mash, and kept them split for the boil.

According to brewerfriend i got 63% efficiency. So not bad for my first try. 10% increase is a pretty big jump in efficiency fosure.

Here's a couple pics of my club's, Red Ledge Brewers, Firebrew event. We brewed 150 gallons of southern English brown.

image-3641907861.jpg

image-3914378708.jpg

image-3148602671.jpg

Brewing up a batch of Ed's Haus Pale Ale (with a couple slight modifications) today. I also finally got my bulkheads, valves and Camlock connections installed in my mash tuns. Wort transfer will be a dream today. :mug:
img_1672-60297.jpg

Mashing in a Cream of Three Crops. Second AG batch and i've really nailed the temps this time. Now just hope my volumes are ok.

Good luck to all brewing this weekend!!

Just got 5 gallons of Surly Furious clone in the fermenter. Wish I was set up to do 10 gallon batches. That stuff is great!

Just f-ed up my mash. Overshot by 10F. Ran to the freezer, tossed in a bunch of ice. Overshot cooling it by 25F. Used the rest of the mash water to get it back up to the correct mash temp.

I'll be pulling a 1.5 gallon decoction just to mash out. Probably have to extend the boil 30 minutes to hit the right OG because of the ice.

Just finished up a Kolsch. Used a counterflow chiller for the 1st time and wow! Way faster cool down compared to an immersion chiller...

Just f-ed up my mash. Overshot by 10F. Ran to the freezer, tossed in a bunch of ice. Overshot cooling it by 25F. Used the rest of the mash water to get it back up to the correct mash temp.

I'll be pulling a 1.5 gallon decoction just to mash out. Probably have to extend the boil 30 minutes to hit the right OG because of the ice.

Hope everything turns out all right man. I've had those brew days and it sucks when what is usually a fun, relaxing hobby turns into a PITA stressful day. Here's to sh!tty brew days!

I did a Vienna/Northern brewer SMaSH using the Mangrove Jack's workhorse yeast. I am going back and rebrewing some of my first brews, this was my 2nd all grain brew 2 years ago. Next I am going to go back and rebrew the Midwest Autumn Amber Ale but as all grain, this was my first extract brew.

almost done brewing a bavarian hefeweizen ... 18 minutes until I throw the chiller on...

EDIT: Never using glass carboys again... just set mine down with 5 gallons of fresh wort and the bottom fell out all over the garage... spent the last 15 minutes cleaning it up... second time this has happened to me.... what a waste of a day and money.... going to get one of those Speidels this week and brew this beer again...

Tip: Keep a gallon of boiling on the burner, and keep a gallon of cold water handy, when you mash in. Add no more than 1 quart at a time of either to adjust the mash temp.

Ice works great, BUT the cooling power of ice is much much higher than water and it's difficult to get a feel for how much water it takes to cool down a degree or two.

MC

I was goign to brew my house Amber this past weekend. Woke up yesterday to get things going and it was already oppressive enough with the heat, that I just couldn't imagine standing over a boiling pot on a day like that. It was projected to be in the mid 90s with a lot of humidity by noon, so I decided to put this one off until next weekend.

It was kind of a double edged sword though. Had a bunch of people stop by that day and we watched the kids play in the blow up slide pool while everyone drank my homebrew. Great fun, but really put a dent in the supply. Kicked one keg that was a little under half full and put my two full kegs at about the halfway point. Well, we brew to drink, right?

Just mashed in my berliner Weiss (sp) going to pitch lacto tonight and give it three or so days before pitching dry yeast. Let it ride a month or so and add a can of peach puree, and set on that another month or two.

Planning a ginger Sasion tommorow

brewed a cream ale two weekends ago and a summer shandy last weekend - gonna take a break from brewing this weekend (20 gallons in two weekends should set me for summer!) - will likely work on equipment this weekend instead.

My parents are visiting from England. They bought a copy of Brew your own Real Ale at home, so I'm going to brew Courage Directors with my dad this weekend.

I'd already selected the beer to brew, and when I told him, he mentioned he had a summer job at Courage in the 60's brewing that beer! Will bottle and age it until they are out this way again.

andylsun said:
My parents are visiting from England. They bought a copy of Brew your own Real Ale at home, so I'm going to brew Courage Directors with my dad this weekend.

I'd already selected the beer to brew, and when I told him, he mentioned he had a summer job at Courage in the 60's brewing that beer! Will bottle and age it until they are out this way again.

That will be a cool experience and a nice memory for you guys.

Hope all goes well

Back