Who has made AHS Kalamazoo IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BansheeRider

Reaction score
I just saw this deal and purchased the two kits. I read this is similar to NB Dead Ringer IPA, however this recipe has 5oz of hops. I called AHS and they won't release the recipe but told me there is only 3oz of hops. Who as made this beer and do you recommend adding more hops, maybe 2 more ounces for dry hopping?

I jumped on that deal too. The reviews on AHS say its like a Bell's Two Hearted. I guess we will see

i haven't made this kit but 3 oz of hops for an IPA seems on the low side. then again, i subscribe to the school of thought known as MOAR HOPZ.

so yes, throwing in a few additional ounces for dry-hopping (you could even add one at flameout, can't hurt) is a good idea.

i haven't made this kit but 3 oz of hops for an IPA seems on the low side. then again, i subscribe to the school of thought known as MOAR HOPZ.

so yes, throwing in a few additional ounces for dry-hopping (you could even add one at flameout, can't hurt) is a good idea.

I was thinking the same thing, 3 oz is a bit low. I would think 5oz would be the minimum.

I just pulled the trigger on the 2 for 1 and I'm thinking I'll use all the hops from both kits for one batch and pull some NZ hops out of the freezer for the other.

I just pulled the trigger on the 2 for 1 and I'm thinking I'll use all the hops from both kits for one batch and pull some NZ hops out of the freezer for the other.

How will you figure out the hop schedule with the extra hops? I was going to just use an extra 2oz of cintennial hops for dry hopping.

How will you figure out the hop schedule with the extra hops? I was going to just use an extra 2oz of cintennial hops for dry hopping.

if you're adding them in the last 5 minutes, i wouldn't worry too much about the scheduling. they will add flavor and aroma, and very little bitterness. you certainly won't harm or ruin the beer. if you like hops, you'll only be making it better :mug:

just toss 'em in while proudly proclaiming MOAR HOPZ.

if you're adding them in the last 5 minutes, i wouldn't worry too much about the scheduling. they will add flavor and aroma, and very little bitterness. you certainly won't harm or ruin the beer. if you like hops, you'll only be making it better :mug:

Ha sounds good. What goes good with centennial? I have Willamette, cascade, and Golding hops in the freezer I would like to use.

That. Dump them in near flameout and in dry hop. Also, we don't get Two Hearted on this side of the country and I've never had it, so I'm not really concerned about altering the recipe.

Ha sounds good. What goes good with centennial? I have Willamette, cascade, and Golding hops in the freezer I would like to use.

Of those I would go with cascade. Also can't go wrong with amarillo, simcoe, or citra if you can get your hands on any of those. You might also grab some columbus and use that at 60 to get to the bitterness the recipe calls for and use more of the centennial later when the flavor and aroma will come through.

That. Dump them in near flameout and in dry hop. Also, we don't get Two Hearted on this side of the country and I've never had it, so I'm not really concerned about altering the recipe.

Of those I would go with cascade. Also can't go wrong with amarillo, simcoe, or citra if you can get your hands on any of those. You might also grab some columbus and use that at 60 to get to the bitterness the recipe calls for and use more of the centennial later when the flavor and aroma will come through.

Awesome thanks! I've never had two hearted beer either, I just thought 3oz of hops is a bit low for any IPA.

I was going to but didn't feel it was that great of a deal when including shipping. It's only 11.75 pounds of grain and it seems like 3 oz of hops (per kit).

I was going to but didn't feel it was that great of a deal when including shipping. It's only 11.75 pounds of grain and it seems like 3 oz of hops (per kit).

It was $47 including shipping. That's about $23 per kit for an IPA that's over 6% ABV, that's a good deal IMO.

Or you could just make one of this kits to spec and try it before deciding it can't be good.

If you think it needs more hops, add them to the second kit.

Picked up two of these today...along with an extra oz each of Amarillo, Cascade, Centennial and Citra.

So far, I love the AHS recipes (I just brewed my 4th batch ever last weekend)...and I like that I can go in and pick the employees' brains. Super nice guys!

Did anyone make a starter for these kits? I got one with the extra abv boost and one without.

Did anyone make a starter for these kits? I got one with the extra abv boost and one without.

I did a starter for this. I also picked up an extra 2oz of cintennial hops for dry hopping. My air lock stoped bubbling after 36 hours. There was only a six hour lag time.

I just brewed my first kit on Saturday and added 1oz centennial at flameout instead of 1/3oz. Also I didn't do a starter but had liquid yeast and fermentation has been wild. Very little lag time. I had to use a blowoff tube for the first 48hrs because the krausen got up into the airlock after a few hours. I'll be comparing this batch to two hearted and possibly adding in bunch more hops next batch.

-K

I just brewed my first kit on Saturday and added 1oz centennial at flameout instead of 1/3oz. Also I didn't do a starter but had liquid yeast and fermentation has been wild. Very little lag time. I had to use a blowoff tube for the first 48hrs because the krausen got up into the airlock after a few hours. I'll be comparing this batch to two hearted and possibly adding in bunch more hops next batch.-K

Perfect example of how different yeast behave differently. My yeast was not very active, even with a starter.

I have made that recipe twice. The first time I made it, it tasted really close to the commercial 2 hearted for about a week then the hop aroma faded really fast in the keg. I ended up dry hopping in the keg with an ounce of cascade leaf which perked it up for the remainder. The next time I did a 2oz dry hop with centennial and it was really good. I might even do a 2oz dry hop then throw an additional 1 or 2 oz in the keg.

This recipe uses all centennial hops. I see no reason to mix match the hops, which is why I chose centennial to dry hop with.

Latest posts

Back