When designing a SMaSH...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nightshade

Reaction score
Is toasting of a percentage of the malt considered a cheat?

My assumption is not a cheat since it is that same malt in use just a modified version of that malt.

My idea is to take a few pounds and put it into our wood fired oven for toasting for a bit to add color and a slight smokey flavor to the wort in a natural way.

What say ye?

Not cheating at all in my book, but it depends what your motive is for smash. If its to taste the malt as it is, you will be adding flavor by toasting.

If you are trying to make a beer that's as tasty as possible by using only one malt, then you're on the right track.

So it all boils down to your goal.

Not cheating at all in my book, but it depends what your motive is for smash. If its to taste the malt as it is, you will be adding flavor by toasting.

If you are trying to make a beer that's as tasty as possible by using only one malt, then you're on the right track.

So it all boils down to your goal.

My goal is as tasty a beer as possible using a single malt as well as getting a bit more experimental (for me) and pushing personal boundaries a bit further.

I think that is a great way to go about brewing a single malt beer. I like the idea of toasting the grain in a wood fired oven. If it were me, I would try to use some pecan wood because the smoke is not very harsh and smells somewhat like roasted pecans which might taste pretty good in the beer. If you do, let us know!

I think that is a great way to go about brewing a single malt beer. I like the idea of toasting the grain in a wood fired oven. If it were me, I would try to use some pecan wood because the smoke is not very harsh and smells somewhat like roasted pecans which might taste pretty good in the beer. If you do, let us know!

That sounds delicious and makes sense given your location!

I think you are also safe in a technical sense as altering already malted grains with heat is not itself considered malting, according to a dictionary.

That sounds delicious and makes sense given your location!

I use it in my smoker all the time and it is my favorite! I have been meaning to home smoke some malt but have heard the oils that build up inside the smoker can create problems in the finished beer.

A true SMaSH would be a single malt and a single hop.
Technically a toasting part of the malt makes a second malt, but if that makes your beer/experiment better, go with it. I made one that would have been quite bland so I toasted some and it came out great. If your aim is to see the difference of malt/hop combinations then do not toast any. Otherwise go with what you feel will make the best beer.

IMHO, the reason you do a SMaSH is learn what a single Malt and Single Hop contribute as ingredients. Toasting some malt would give you a less clear interpretation of the malt on its own (out of the bag).

That said, there is nothing wrong with toasting some grain. It's just not going to inform you as a brewer in the same way.

Brew on,

Tim

Latest posts

Back