Blueberries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RayRaysBrewCo

Reaction score
Hello all! This is my first post here.

I brewed a porter yesterday which I intend to add blueberry to for a subtle blueberry taste. I purchased the blueberry extract at the HBS, but am feeling like it may provide too much of an over-powering or even artificial blueberry flavor. The recipe actually calls for four pounds of frozen, but I am considering using fresh when I rack to secondary. Anyone have experience with blueberry extract, fresh or frozen? Thanks for any and all input.

I've made a blueberry wheat a couple times. Once using frozen and once using fresh that I froze myself. Blueberries freeze really well so I don't think there's much difference I've never used extract before.
The first time I used 5 lbs. The beer turned pretty pink and the blueberry flavor was definitely there. At first I think it was even too strong but after some aging it was really good. The last time I used 3 lbs and got a much more subtle flavor with very little color impact. It was a good beer but I would've liked a little more blueberry flavor in it. Makes it sound like 4 lbs is the right number but with a natural product you can never be sure.
I'd recommend starting on the low end and see if it has the impact you want. If not, try more on the next batch.

Back