Beer taste like hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keatz85

Reaction score
Brewed a 20 min clone kit of corona from midwest, pretty sure I followed directions perfectly, tastes like drinking straight hops, is recipe bad or did i do something wrong? Beer got good reviews online but me and my friends hate it.

20 min.and using hops pretty much only flavors your beer with hops. It should be more to your taste in another month or so? How soon are you drinking these?
Depending on what the instructions said,you may not want to follow them and the onlly advice ive seen on 20 min boils was to stay away from them. I did this with my first 2 beers and havent done it since. Im shure you can make good 20 min beers,depends on your process and temps yeast and other things though,its not so black and white as directions make you think. But in general, give them time you may think otherwise.
Oh and what were your fermentation temps?

If you only boiled for 20 min all you really got is flavor and aroma from the hops and only a slight bittering. You would need to do a 60-90 min boil with a low aa hop for a corona type beer. If you really only want to do a 20 min boil use the hop extract to bitter.

Good to hear. Have done 3 recipe kits and always try them early and they are good but get better w/ age. They were all wheat beers. 1st boil kit and probably last. A little pestimistic about the "corona" b/c its so bad, not sure if anything will make it good but will keep fingers crossed.

You might not want to write off boiling your wort just yet... its a pretty important step in the creation of beer.

Here's the kit:

"Our ingredients for this recipe include a 3 lb. 5 oz. Munton's Mexican Style Cerveza hopped can kit, 2 lb. light DME, 1/2 oz. Hallertau aroma pellet hops, priming sugar and yeast."

I'm not a huge fan of hopped extract and my understanding is that you do not want to boil hopped extract...I assume the directions had you add it after boiling the 2 lbs of DME and turning off the heat. In any case, I've always made beer by boiling but have never used a hopped extract so I'm not sure what the culprit is other than just being too young at this time to drink.

Directions had me boil the DME and LME for 20 minutes, adding the hop pellets the last 2 minutes. However, did notice the description says 1/2 oz of hops but the box says 1 oz is included. I remembered a previous batch I made called for 3/4 oz but had 1 oz as well. Apparently, Midwest measures out everything else in the kit except for hops which come in 1 oz packages. I was smart enough that time to notice it but unfortunately not this time. Maybe I should contact them to recommend measuring out the hops or putting a warning on the directions. I know it's my fault but when you buy a kit for anything hamburger, helper, cakes, etc. it's not like you have to only use 1/2 of one the ingredients. So yeah looks like we found the culprit. Is my beer trashed?

It will probably be great,its a matter of time.Even if its weeks or months.

Back