Motueka Hops. Anyone used them?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beergolf

Reaction score
I was in my LHBS the other day and he just got in a big shipment of hops. Lots of varieties that he never had before.

I smelled a couple of varieties that he suggested and they smelled great, so I picked up a couple of ounces of Motueka. I plan on doing a pale ale using Centenial, Amarillo and Motueka. Should be interesting.

Anyone used them? What do you think of them?

beergolf said:
I was in my LHBS the other day and he just got in a big shipment of hops. Lots of varieties that he never had before.

I smelled a couple of varieties that he suggested and they smelled great, so I picked up a couple of ounces of Motueka. I plan on doing a pale ale using Centenial, Amarillo and Motueka. Should be interesting.

Anyone used them? What do you think of them?

Bump!

I bought a 4 oz pack recently. Really liked the dry hop I did with it in a Belgian tripel ipa that used Amarillo.

I paired it with Nelson sauvin after loving the dry hop using 0.75oz additions of both at FWH, 15 and 1'. This is in primary right now and tastes glorious!

Did you ever use motueka alone?

Bump!

I bought a 4 oz pack recently. Really liked the dry hop I did with it in a Belgian tripel ipa that used Amarillo.

I paired it with Nelson sauvin after loving the dry hop using 0.75oz additions of both at FWH, 15 and 1'. This is in primary right now and tastes glorious!

Did you ever use motueka alone?
Motueka & NS are popular with the crowd on the cooper's forums down under. Like to try that with Czech Saaz in my APA next time. Or maybe with Perle.

Had a distinct lemon/lime thing going on in a SMaSH that I did with it. Not great by itself, but would work with a lot of other hops.

heywatchthis said:
Had a distinct lemon/lime thing going on in a SMaSH that I did with it. Not great by itself, but would work with a lot of other hops.

+1. Lemon-lime citrus definitely. I would say motueka is like a third cousin of saaz, there is some spice but I get more citrus; and NOT GRAPEFRUIT CITRUS. God I'm sick of grapefruit citrus.

It is interesting to see this thread brought back to life, since I was the OP.

I brewed a simple IPA using Centenial, Amarillo and Moteuka. Very nice combo. Citrusy but not grapefruit. I would use them again.

beergolf said:
It is interesting to see this thread brought back to life, since I was the OP.

I brewed a simple IPA using Centenial, Amarillo and Moteuka. Very nice combo. Citrusy but not grapefruit. I would use them again.

How about citra? I have no experience with it and want to avoid grapefruit. Is it grapefruity? I'm really happy to have feedback so quickly. There isn't much info on this board about motueka.

I was thinking about bittering/FWH with chinook, followed by motueka and citra/amarillo..weird? with Denny's 1450.

I have a Belgian blond on tap right now that is hopped exclusively with motueka. It does have a bit of lemon citrus to it, but I would say it's rather more exotic than that - notes of hibiscus and passion fruit. I've also used it in a saison where the citrus and spice plays beautifully with the peppery earthiness of the yeast. I really like these hops.

This is the second time I have heard of this hop. There was a black rice beer with motueka hops entered in the 23A (Specialty Beer) category of the Music City brew off. It was very unusual color, sort of a lavender and the head was PINK ( I think because of the black rice)! Unfortunately, I only got to taste the very last cloudy bit of it. It made it to the mini BOS, but didn't advance. It wasn't bad, even though my sample was definitely full of yeast.

Older thread, I know, but SN Southern Hemisphere Harvest uses Pacific Hallertau for bittering and NZ Southern Cross and Motueka for finishing.

That beer is damn good, FWIW.

I used this hop in a belgian dark strong. It is pretty different from Saaz IMO. I got very tropical fruit like notes from it. It almost clashed a bit with the other flavors in the beer although most that tried it liked it a lot. It is a nice hop though just don't expect a real saaz substitute. I think its a little misleading to bill it as such, maybe the crop that I got was fruitier then most but reading around I don't think thats the case.

jtejedor said:
I used this hop in a belgian dark strong. It is pretty different from Saaz IMO. I got very tropical fruit like notes from it. It almost clashed a bit with the other flavors in the beer although most that tried it liked it a lot. It is a nice hop though just don't expect a real saaz substitute. I think its a little misleading to bill it as such, maybe the crop that I got was fruitier then most but reading around I don't think thats the case.

Me too. I get much more tropical fruit than saaz spice out of it. The spice is there a bit, but I was really surprised to see it described as saaz-like (even though the parentage looks to have a saaz component).

And I was starting to question my palate...

Anyone try Green Bullet as a bitterer & Motueka for flavor/aroma? I was conspiring to do an all-NZ-hopped Maibock this way, only a bit on the darker side of the style, kind of an "Autumn in New Zealand" theme. My wife and her friends are a bit nutty about New Zealand and I'm primarily brewing it for them...

soupfist said:
Anyone try Green Bullet as a bitterer & Motueka for flavor/aroma? I was conspiring to do an all-NZ-hopped Maibock this way, only a bit on the darker side of the style, kind of an "Autumn in New Zealand" theme. My wife and her friends are a bit nutty about New Zealand and I'm primarily brewing it for them...

I have the fixin's for pacific jade/motueka ipa or pale ale. Probably a month before I get to brewing it. Maybe with an English ale yeast for fruitiness to complement the motueka (?)- or Belgian.

You try this yet?

I have the fixin's for pacific jade/motueka ipa or pale ale. Probably a month before I get to brewing it. Maybe with an English ale yeast for fruitiness to complement the motueka (?)- or Belgian.

You try this yet?

Not me...I'm also a month away from brewing. I just finished brewing Centennial Blonde though, and it occurred to me this would be a good recipe to try different hops combinations on. Cheap to make, ready quickly, not much dominant flavor in the grain bill so you should really get an idea of what the hops are bringing to the palate. I'm considering doing this as I've still got some time to make a Maibock, and since they take a while it'd be better to know what it tastes like now vs. rolling the dice on May 1.

The blonde you just made is also a good one to gently dry hop. I just tossed a simcoe/Amarillo bag that had been in another into the bottling bucket halfway through and let it sit for 30 minutes. I liked these bottles more than the regulars!

If you want to drink Motueka at its finest, find Hill Farmstead's Motueka. And I say "find" not "buy," because that's a challenge in itself. Go to the brewery and maybe some places in Vermont. Outside of that, you probably won't find it. (And if you do, pat yourself on the back.)

If anyone can clone that beer, I'd be forever grateful.

If you want to drink Motueka at its finest, find Hill Farmstead's Motueka. And I say "find" not "buy," because that's a challenge in itself. Go to the brewery and maybe some places in Vermont. Outside of that, you probably won't find it. (And if you do, pat yourself on the back.)

Ha, I came across that beer on tap over the summer! Didn't try it ... though now I wish i did.

Edit: holy crap, RCBIV, I grew up in Gilmanton I.W.... right on crystal lake. small world.

Ha, I came across that beer on tap over the summer! Didn't try it ... though now I wish i did.

Edit: holy crap, RCBIV, I grew up in Gilmanton I.W.... right on crystal lake. small world.

It really is a small world... I actually grew up in New Durham. I just got a job in Laconia a few months back, so I'm moving into a place in The GIW.

And if you see that beer again, give it a try. You won't be disappointed.

I'm planning an IPA once my new tun is done and whatnot. It's going to be Motueka, Pacifica, Saphir, Rakau, and Apollo.

Should be interesting :)

I'm considering a hefeweizen with motueka hops.

Sound tasty?? I think the fruity would go well with the banana/clove - but then again I've never used these hops alone so I'm not 100%

I'm considering a hefeweizen with motueka hops.

Sound tasty?? I think the fruity would go well with the banana/clove - but then again I've never used these hops alone so I'm not 100%

i was thinking of trying the same thing, sounds interesting!

I made a motueka single hop ipa back in may. It was very good, strong tropical fruit with spice. The fruit faded pretty quick and the beer became more spicy. Smooth bitterness. All in all not radically different from a lot of US hops, but a bit more subtle and refined. A nice hop.

Thanks for the feedback! I'm leaning toward a Belgian yeast (3522) with some motueka and maybe a touch of coriander. Hmmm

Reviving this. Just brewed an American wheat with lemon zest and fresh rosemary for my homebrew club. My LHBS owner suggested Moteuka, so I'm curious to see how this one turns out in terms of how the flavors meld.

I just brewed my Motueka Pale Ale all-grain recipe. It was my first AG recipe (2.5 gallons) and it came out great. I think I would actually consider it an IPA because I dry-hopped it a TON, but it's a great brew and definitely my best yet.

Also, to those who want to brew a hefe with Motueka, there is a lemon-lime hefeweizen recipe here at HBT that includes Motueka and Sorachi Ace. I brewed that as well and it's great.

i've just bottled an all Motueka pale ale. it tasted awesome flat so I can't wait until it's carbed

Just had a buddy's ESB that was dry hopped with Motueka. It was very tropical and fruity...almost like citra w/o the resin. Smelled like a tropical fruit cocktail.

i added .5oz @ 20 minutes in our blood orange hefe. not sure if i will pick up the small amount in this sort of beer, but i will be experimenting with them some more soon hopefully.

I just bottled an IPA that only used New Zealand hops. Here's the hop bill;
1.00 oz Pacific Jade- Boil 60.0 min

0.75 oz Motueka - Boil 10.0 min
0.50 oz Pacifica - Boil 10.0 min

1.00 oz Motueka- Aroma Steep 0.0 min
1.00 oz Pacifica [5.50 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min

I really liked how my hydrometer sample tasted.

I just bottled an IPA that only used New Zealand hops. Here's the hop bill;
1.00 oz Pacific Jade- Boil 60.0 min

0.75 oz Motueka - Boil 10.0 min
0.50 oz Pacifica - Boil 10.0 min

1.00 oz Motueka- Aroma Steep 0.0 min
1.00 oz Pacifica [5.50 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min

I really liked how my hydrometer sample tasted.

how did this turn out?

how did this turn out?

Yah, I'd love to hear!

I'm planning on brewing a Spring APA this coming weekend. I am going to use 100% pure maple sap instead of water, single malt (Marris Otter) and Centennial, Motueka, and El Dorado Hops. I'm trying to get a nice and light, but flavorful beer perfect for the warming spring afternoons. Has anyone ever used these hops together? I am hoping they will play well together but I'm still not sure how I want hop schedule to go.

I just made a lager with just motueka hops and its lovely - lemon and lime makes it tart and light and refreshing.

I brewed 2 versions of the below bill and in one I have 1oz of Pacifica in the dry hop for 14 days, and in the second I am putting 1oz of Motueka. On the Mokueka one I also added .30oz of crushed coriander seeds the last 15 min...the smell on that one is absolutely amazing

9 lb American - Pale 2-Row 37 1.8 69.2%
2.5 lb American - Vienna 35 4 19.2%
0.5 lb American - White Wheat 40 2.8 7.7%
0.5 lb German - CaraFoam 37 1.8 3.8%
12.5 lb Total

0.75 oz NZ Pacifica Pellet 5 Boil 60 min 13.2
0.35 oz NZ Pacifica Pellet 5 Boil 20 min 3.73
0.35 oz NZ Pacifica Pellet 5 Boil 5 min 1.23

OG for this was 1.060, the Pacifica I used Wyeast American Ale 1056, it finished in Primary at 1.009, and in the second I used Wyeast Northwest Ale 1332 the og was 1.062.....this is the start of that brew:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=582769

Mot is a great hop, it works in most styles.....
It tends to have a fruity/spicy character to it, that goes well in lagers and saisons. while still leaving a prominent hop character behind it.

Next up I've go a Bretted saison
with 50Grams of Motueka with 30grams Waimea at flameout,and dryhopped heavily with Nelson Sauvin, after a 3 month fermentation profile for brett character.
OG 1.050 Second version ofthis beer after version one dryhopped with Sorachi Ace and Nelson

Little bit of a thread revival here, but no sense in creating a new thread for essentially this topic.

I made a Wit and a DIPA this weekend. The Wit will end up being "dry spiced" with Hibiscus and Lime Zest and the DIPA used El Dorado to FWH, then added .75oz El Dorado, 1oz Denali, and 1oz Motueka as a whirlpool addition. I was originally planning to dry hop the Wit with 1.4oz of Motueka and dry hop the DIPA with 1oz El Dorado, 1oz, Denali, and 1oz Motueka.

I understand many would potentially say use more hops in the whirlpool and almost definitely dry hop with more hops, but I tend to lean more towards a balanced IPA/DIPA, than heavy hop leaning ones. That being said looking for thoughts on using the 1.4oz of Motueka in the DIPA to make for a 2.4oz addition of Motueka. El Dorado and Denali tend to be strong and over powering to some "lighter" hops so I'm thinking the additional Motueka will help it stand its ground.

Back