Beer Alchemy setting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golphur

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a setting in Beer Alchemy to adjust the potency of Extracts that you are using in recipes? Maybe a PPG setting? I can't find anything of the sort.

My Original Gravity is always significantly lower than what the BA program calculates for Extract bewing. I spoke to my LHBS store and they suggested updating the PPG in my program but they were not familiar with Beer Alchemy. From the LHBS web site it states that they use Munton's Extract and have a description listed as:

""Our DME, provided exclusively by Munton-Fison, of Suffolk, England, is the finest dried malt extract in the world. These products are produced from 100% 2-row malted barley.

3 pounds of DME is roughly equivalent to 4 pounds of malt extract syrup.

Each pound of DME will increase alcohol by .8 percent. "

Go to your ingredient list and click on whichever dried extract you have been selecting for your recipes. You can change the "extract" value for each fermentable ingredient. I'm sorry that I can't help you with exactly what percentage to use, but that is how you change it.

If you don't want to mess with the pre-sets, you can just create a new extract listing to use for your recipes.

Awesome! Thanks. This is just what I was looking for. Good advice on creating the new ingredient too. Changing the default Extract from 95% to 80% calculated the OG pretty close to what my actuals were.

Thanks for the help!

Back