Spent Grain - Bread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't believe how much bread you can get out of just a small amount of grain. My wife made 4 loaves and still has a decent amount of grain left from just 1 lb of 2 row and 1/2 lb each of flaked oats and flaked wheat.

We're going to use as much of the grain as we can and freeze the bread or dough and/or give bread away.

It's delicious bread, but more than we can eat.

I was looking at some basic ways to do mini mash and all grain and I can't imagine what we'd do with 10-12 lbs of grain.

I am enjoying a few slices while at work, this is such a great multipurpose bread, it goes great with a sandwich, or toasted with a bit of local honey on it for breakfast, accompanying a bowl of chili or chowder...

I only save a bit of the grain from each batch of beer, but we have about 10 loaves worth in the freezer. SWMBO is gonna do some baking tomorrow, on her day off. I usually take some of the grain at the end of brew day and use the Foodsaver to vacuum seal it in little packs, each one with the right amount of grains for one batch of bread, then freeze them.

I only save a bit of the grain from each batch of beer, but we have about 10 loaves worth in the freezer. SWMBO is gonna do some baking tomorrow, on her day off. I usually take some of the grain at the end of brew day and use the Foodsaver to vacuum seal it in little packs, each one with the right amount of grains for one batch of bread, then freeze them.

I need to start doing that, not the having your SWMBO bake me bread part, the vacuum sealing it in premeasured amounts, I will have my SWMBO bake for me so yours can concentrate on baking for you. :D

So I finally baked some bread. It was good, but I found I had to add a little more flour to the op's receipt. The other thing for me is waiting a little longer for the yeast to really take hold. I think I was a bit premature on that aspect. I only waited about 3hrs for it to rise.

As far as grains go I have saved mine in the freezer until ready to bake some.

SWMBO has a couple loaves of this just about ready to go into the oven. Finding this is an all-day project when we bake this!

I made spent grain bread for the first time out of grain from a milk stout and the OP's recipe. Really easy and delicious. I hate baking but I found that to be a really simple process. My fiance has a weakness for bread so I guess I'll be making bread out of every brew now.

I stored the grains in a ziploc bag in the fridge overnight and made the bread the next day and had no problem with it not baking all the way through on a cookie sheet in the oven. For people having problems with the bread not baking through that may be a remedy.

Used some of my hop salt that I just made with some spent grain in the freezer, I save it all and bake often, and it came our wonderful. The hops are more in the aroma of the bread, but its great.

so wouldnt it be better to grind up the spent grains in a food processer before making the bread?. I really wish i had save some of my previous batches. Im thinking of dehydrating them also and turning it into flour that way i can use more of it and give it away easier.

so wouldnt it be better to grind up the spent grains in a food processer before making the bread?. I really wish i had save some of my previous batches. Im thinking of dehydrating them also and turning it into flour that way i can use more of it and give it away easier.

I mentioned doing that back in post #54... In the batches since then, I've spun the grains more to get them into a finer state. Basically, I scoop in ~5 cups of grain, and get 3 cups out of the food processor... It takes a little while, but it's worth it...

Since I'm about to have a lot of grain on hand, I'm thinking about trying the bread with just one or two cups of freshly crushed base malt (maybe some caramel or honey malt too). Could be rather interesting...

I did reserve some wort from the last brew (on last Sunday) that I plan on reducing even more. I have about 5 quarts right now, plan on reducing as far as I can (hopefully down to about 1 quart)... It started off as 2 gallons, so it's on the way to being really concentrated... I might take a hydrometer reading off of it before I start reducing it again, just to see where it's at... :D

In one of the posts here, someone said that the bread made with the grains from an extract brew would be sweeter than from a full mash. I'm not ready to step up to full grain brews so only have the grains from the extract kits. Could the sweetness be reduced by cutting down on the sugar used in the recipes? In looking at the different recipes in this thread, they all use more sugar than I generally do for bread.

Would love to be making some bread from the grains as it just seems so wasteful to throw them out!

BTW, I have not had luck with getting my frozen dough to re-rise after doubling the yeast and freezing for a couple weeks. Thawed in fridge and left out to rise all day and proofed in oven and nothing, just a miniscule amount of rising.

Anyone else had luck freezing it?

Same results for me... Pretty much given up on getting it to work at this point. I might revisit it at a later date, but I have other (more important) things to work on...

Next time I brew, I intend to mill up some extra grain for use in bread... The person I brewed with last week has a mill for making flour, which I intend to send a pound, or so, through. This will be grain that doesn't get processed into wort, so it should have all of it's flavors in it. :D I'll post up the results when I have them.

Guess I am going back to baking several loaves and freezing the whole loaves. Now I have several loaves of "not gonna rise" dough in the freezer.

Oh well.

Guess I am going back to baking several loaves and freezing the whole loaves. Now I have several loaves of "not gonna rise" dough in the freezer.

Oh well.

You may be able to use chemical methods to make it rise, but then it would be more of a quick bread. Perhaps you could make some pretty good rolls, although they will be very chewy from the gluten...

Just wanted to say thanks to those who posted recipes here. I did my first partial mash yesterday and decided to try some bread with the spent grains. I used the original recipe posted on page 1 except I added about 6 oz of my homebrewed red ale. It turned out fantastic! I will be making this again soon!

sfbayjay said:
Hey! Great thread here. Inspired me to try my own take on baking with spent grains. I used spent grains from my recent attempt at cloning Deschutes Mirror Pond.

Here are my results:

And here's my take on a recipe:

3 cups spent grain
5 cups bread flour (approximate)
1 Tbsp salt
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 cup homemade Irish Stout
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 pkg dry baking yeast
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 cup warm (112*F) water
Pinch of cornmeal

Combine grain, 2 cups of bread flour, salt, and brown sugar in large mixing bowl and mix thoroughly.

Dissolve 1/2 tsp white sugar in 112*F water in a small bowl. Sprinkle dry yeast on water surface. Cover bowl w. foil and hold between 110* and 115* for 10 mins.

Meanwhile, add beer and oil to grain/flour mixture and stir together. Slowly add 2 more cups of bread flour and combine (I just used my hands, coated w. flour to avoid sticking).

After 10 mins soaking, gently stir yeast mixture, replace cover and rest for 5 mins or until yeast cream is nice and thick.

Add yeast mixture to dough and combine by hand. Slowly add remaining bread flour until dough is stiff and only a bit sticky.

Turn out dough onto floured surface and knead for 8-10 minutes. Place dough in large bowl coated w. nonstick spray, cover w. damp towel, and leave for 2-3 hours (or until roughly double in size) in a warm spot to rise.

After initial rise, punch down dough and turn out onto floured surface. Shape into a round loaf, pulling the top of the loaf tight. Grease (or spray) a large cookie sheet and sprinkle with a bit of cornmeal to prevent sticking. Place loaf on prepared sheet, cover w. damp towel, and allow to rise for another 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until roughly doubled.

Preheat oven to 425*F. Bake loaf on center rack for 20 minutes. Using a spray bottle with clean water, mist the entire loaf (6-8 squirts) every 5 minutes for the first 20 minutes. Then reduce oven temp to 375* and bake another 25 mins, or until loaf sounds hollow when thumped with a knuckle. Cool, cut, and munch. :)

Yum! This thread got me going, so thanks for the inspiration.

:mug:

Oh my...this is delicious. Substituted brown ale with the grain bill for a wheat beer. Yum!

Didn't think about checking here first but made bread last week after an AG batch. I used a recipe from my bread machine and just substituted spent grain (pulsed a bit in a food processor) for the 7-grain cereal in the recipe. The wife said it was the best bread I've ever made and now for the first time in 10 years she's encouraging me to make more beer for the spent grain (I tossed the rest of the grain from the last batch).

If I knew that I would have made bread this way a long time ago :D Time to formulate another recipe! :mug: And vaccuum seal some extra grain! Super simple with a bread machine, any brewers who also have a bread machine this is a no brainer!

I have a brew-buddy that has a flour mill... I'm thinking about taking a bit of some base malt, and maybe a little of some other malts, and having him turn it into flour for me so that I can use it in a batch of bread. I'll still use regular flour, but I'm not sure if I'll use spent grain still. I do think I'll reserve some wort to put into the bread though (from the same batch)... I could be baking it this weekend. If I do, I'll post up the results. :D

Spent grain bread is awesome. Interesting to see Red Ale made dark brown bread and IPA made medium brown (both WindRiver extract kits). I still haven't solved the collapsing dome issue (in my bread machine) but I'm experimenting with less yeast and/or less water. No biggie, stand the loaf on end and slice off the crusty rim.

But, I've been wondering if I can freeze the spent grain for later baking?

Anyone have other interesting use? (besides feeding deer...which is noble but we have Lyme Disease here so I don't really want them in the yard!) One guy told me he mixesthem into the garden soil..."I throw them away" seems like a huge lost opportunity!

Brewsday said:
Spent grain bread is awesome. Interesting to see Red Ale made dark brown bread and IPA made medium brown (both WindRiver extract kits). I still haven't solved the collapsing dome issue (in my bread machine) but I'm experimenting with less yeast and/or less water. No biggie, stand the loaf on end and slice off the crusty rim.

But, I've been wondering if I can freeze the spent grain for later baking?

Anyone have other interesting use? (besides feeding deer...which is noble but we have Lyme Disease here so I don't really want them in the yard!) One guy told me he mixesthem into the garden soil..."I throw them away" seems like a huge lost opportunity!

I've read that that they make great compost

Are you guys making starters with your bread yeast?

I usually do about 1:2 ratio of flour to water, a couple tsp honey and 1/4 tsp instant yeast. Mix and chill overnight. Gets me a better rise and better flavor. For one loaf I go about 5 oz flour, 2 tsp honey, 10 oz water.

Good to know thanks. I had accumulated 2 partial bags in the fridge and decided to dry them and see if birds would be interested. I spread on a tray, put in the oven, raised the temp to about 300* then shut off (took 2 cycles). This made the house smell like brew day and I had the thought of steeping them in our potpouri mini-crock pot just to have that pleasant odor. But the big surprise to me was how light the result was. It's probably 3-4 cups of stuff and it weighs about 5.5 ounces. Had I done this immediately it seems like these could be added to bread and stored for a very long time. Might also solve the cavig in bread syndrome.
I wonder if you compared the weight of dried spent grains to the original pre-brew grain weight if that would indicate any measure of efficiency...altho probably not worth the time and energy (in my case propane).

Soooo i think mine produced a little bit of alcohol! I started a bit to late lastnight so it didnt have time to rise. I left it over night seperated it in the morning. Left it while at work, andit smelt like cheap ass vodka before the bake andafter. Oooops!

Sent from my DROIDX using Home Brew Talk

Just made a double batch. Just one problem with it... It's so good that my roommates eat all of it before I get a piece. Good recipe thanks!

Made this yesterday! Made one loaf using the basic recipe, but made this loaf replacing the water with Black Bear XX Stout from Alameda Brewhouse. It adds a nice layer of flavor. Spent grain was ground C40L and a little roasted barley. from a partial grain Pale Ale.

DSC_2871-1.jpg

DSC_2877.jpg

I just finished up a lambic and I think the simple grain bill is probably great for the first time making this: 40% torrified wheat, and 60% floor-malted bohemian pilsner malt (a nicer, more rustic taste compared to Weyermann's normal BoPils malt, having eaten a few of both grains side by side). Worn out though, so I'll be sticking the grains in the fridge.

But obviously, despite it being the grain bill for a lambic, I'm not going.to use a lambic as the liquid. It's pretty similar to a wheat beer though, so I'll probably go with a German hefe, unless someone has reason to believe the suspended yeast will make it turn out poorly?

I have plenty of Schneider, Weihanstephan, Erdinger, and Paulaner weissebiers... so I'm a bit spoiled for choice. Not sure which I'd use. Or since it's a very plain grain bill, maybe go with a weizenbock? I have both Aventinus, and the Aventinus eisbock, - I'd definitely get a BIG flavor contribution from both of them, and the latter would be incredible (maybe too much? I dunno).

If a hefe is not a good idea though (and maybe even if a hefe is fine... I dunno), I'm either going to use some Chimay Red, or one of the following Unibroue beers, which all sound amazing for this purpose: Don de Dieu, Maudite, La Fin Du Monde, or Trois Pistoles.

Anybody have any thoughts or suggestions on which of those beers to use?

Brewed an English Pale Ale today, cant wait to see how the bread will turn out tomorrow. I have a good amount of spent grains that sat in the freezer for awhile this afternoon, I took em out and put em in the fridge a few hours ago so I didnt have to wait for anything to thaw.

First time bread maker here...

doing my first batch of bread friday after all grain hefe mash.

Good luck, that should be good. Just be sure to blend up those grains to ensure there aren't large hull pieces. Just made some with grains from a Blonde Ale. I find I get better shelf-life when I use honey as the predominant sugar source.

Spent grain bread toasted with homemade jam on it? YES PLEASE!

Plan on running spent grain through blender first, since I am using rice hulls. how much honey for a typical loaf mentioned here. not looking for a sweet bread.

may 2 loaves, spent grain bread pudding as a dessert in dutch oven over coals, maybe a bit more hone in that loaf

Never done it with rice hulls. Guessing they are going to be even harder to fully pulverize than barley hulls since they are longer and more fibrous. Just blend it till they are totally gone, I guess.

The base recipe you are using will dictate how much honey you need. Last batch I made needed ~1/4 cup in place of what would otherwise have been about 1/4 white sugar or 1/3 cup of brown sugar.

nice! just what I needed. got some yeast from grocery stor quick and regular. I can get some yuengling black & tan to mix in blender as sub for water... or yuengling lager... what's on sale.

Can't wait to try this!

My way
1 package of yeast
3/4 cup water
1 cup wet spent grain (warm ok, but not hot) right out of the tun
1.5 flour
Mix it well cover and leave overnight.
then add;
1 cup water, using 3/4 cup water and 1/4 cup milk give it more sponge like bread
2tsp salt
2tbsp honey, or 4tbsp dme
4 cups flour
mix, knead till it feels bouncy
put in greased bowl cover let rise till doubled
punch down, knead and form loaves, I put on tiles dusted with corn meal, and cover with greased plastic
after an hour bake at 450 for 12-15 min, or 6min in stone oven
brush with butter 7 min for a softer crust or spray with water for a harder crust

I haven't made any bread with my spent grain yet, but I can say that the best breads I've ever made were in a dutch oven. Perfect crust every time! That is now the only way I make bread.

I preheat it in the oven at 500F for 20 minutes. Turn the oven down to 450 and put the dough in the dutch oven. Then cook it for 20 minutes. Remove the lid then 20 - 30 more minutes until the crust is the right color.

Since I've got a sourdough starter I've been feeding for a few months, I'll be making some with some spent grains from a porter I've got in the freezer.

Back