dishwasher for bottle tree?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfraier

Reaction score
I saw a video online and the guy sanatized and then used his dishwasher for a tree whie bottling. Would that cause infection? I'm still working on a bottling set up to make things easier. I took alot away for Revs post.

Lots of people use the dishwasher for sanitizing. If the tines were sanitized, there should be no problem doing this, but I don't think it would look much like a tree. :)

-a.

I'm a complete newbie, but I think if your bottles are clean you can sanitize and dry them in the dishwasher. Run a complete cycle without any detergents. I don't see why you couldn't leave them in there until you bottle.
Cheers

So can I sanatize and then use the heat to dry on the dishwasher before bottling Revvy?

I personally am not comfortable with doing that, but quite a few folks on here do. Personally after seeing those commercials that show all the hidden biomatter in the nooks and crannies of a typical household diswasher, all the sanitation cycles in the world wouldn't make me comfortable...But like so many aspects of brewing, there's multiple ways of doing things...the "best" is what works for us.

I personally am not comfortable with doing that, but quite a few folks on here do. Personally after seeing those commercials that show all the hidden biomatter in the nooks and crannies of a typical household diswasher, all the sanitation cycles in the world wouldn't make me comfortable...But like so many aspects of brewing, there's multiple ways of doing things...the "best" is what works for us.

+1; I took a look at the area under the lower sprayer and found food bits, and also in the top sprayer arm. The lower rack, however, is extremely useful to hold the bottles during bottling. I pull it out, spray it with StarSan, and then dunk the bottles in a bucket of StarSan and turn them over on the rack tines to drain and await bottling. That is what works for me, anyway.

I use a dishwasher w/o problems. I have one in my brew kitchen that has never been used for anything but bottles and brew gear. So I doubt there is any bio matter in it. I don't use detergents. Everything is washed in oxyclean free then sent through the DW set on pots and pans with heated dry. I keep the DW shut until I actually bottle. I doubt if anything can live after washing in oxiclean then a 40min wash in scalding hot water and then another hour or 2 baking next to a heating element. If I need to do more than that, then screw it, because making beer isn't fun or worth the hassle. But it seems to do the trick because I've never had an issue.

Back