HBT: School me on Cigars!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RC0032

Reaction score
I have a few upcoming events where a nice cigar would fit with the occasion perfectly! I have had the opportunity to smoke a nice cigar on many an occasion but I was always with an experienced hand there to help make the section. I would like to pick up 10-20 nice cigars and a small travel humidor. Help me pick out what would be best.

I would like a nice 1+hr smoke with a range of mild to heavy. I heard about the following website but school me on what I need to know HBT!

JRCigars.com: The World's Largest Cigar Store and Lowest Prices!
Cigars - Shop Quality Cigars at Thompson Cigar
and Tinderbox.com - Cigars, Pipes, Humidors and Smoking Accessories Online

It really is a matter of trying several types, and honing in on what you like. I personally have been trying many in the medium to full range, and keep going back to CAO Brazillia's. I like the flavor/mouthfeel. The Rocky Patel Decade's are also very nice, that would be my current second favorite.

I do have a liking for some very full cigars, but from memory, the only one I can remember was the Aston VSG.

I just had a Camacho that was fantastic... double madura IIRC. I am also a fan of Romeo y Julliet and Onxy. A good stand by can be a Punch.

My favorites are dark, fat (maybe 52, or 50) and shorter (4 inches). It is rare to smoke under an hour. I usually hit 1.5 to 2 hours.

+1 to the rocky patel's... they have some great smokes.

I really like Drew Estates' Java. But I really enjoy coffee, and this tastes like a really well brewed cup of coffee.

There are also a couple of other threads about cigars that have alot of info.

My personal favorite so far has been leon jimmens 300.

I really like Drew Estates' Java. But I really enjoy coffee, and this tastes like a really well brewed cup of coffee.

I have had this cigar once or twice and did enjoy it, but I have a mental impasse with the cigar shape. It seems like a chick cigar, with a man's flavor. (Wait, I may be thinking of the mocha)

Throw some Fuentes in there. You can't go wrong. Or any other brand made by Fuente (like Ashton, Diamond Crown, Cuesta Rey, Montesino, La Unica, etc.) Some Padrons would be good too.

Know this:

Most maduro cigars (dark-colored) are medium-bodied (a few range to strong) and the flavors are typically chocolatey/coffee-y. Practically all Connecticut Shade (light colored) are mild... some range to mild/medium and the flavors are generally creamy. Nearly all cigars with a sungrown wrapper are medium to strong and the flavors are typically spicy. The key to a good strong cigar is that it also be "smooth"-tasting. There are a lot of crappy strong cigars out there because they lack that smoothness. Some of the good strong cigars are any Fuente sungrowns, Ashton VSGs, Fuente Opus X (good luck finding those), Padrons 2000, 4000, 5000, Londres (good bang for buck) and Anniversarios 1964 (medium/strong) and 1926.

For length, in many cases, shorter cigars can be stronger due to the proportional amount of ligero leaves (strong). Ligero leaves are short (in premium hand-made cigars, the leaves run the whole length of the cigar) and therefore are found more in shorter cigars. So, for example, a Fuente Chateau Sungrown is a short Robusto-style cigar and is pretty strong. Compare that to it's longer counterpart, the Fuente Double-Chateau Sungrown, which is more of a medium-bodied smoke.

A good travel humi is the herf-a-dor.
I had a nice leather traveler with accesory kit but I can't seem to find it on the net.
As for internet sales, Thompson Cigar is one of those "You get what you pay for".
JR's, Mikes, and Famous are good stores. CI is larger and has a good selection.
Rocky Patel has a nice range of cigars to choose from. I gifted a friend on his 40th with some of their Spring collection along with the Renaissance.
Mild to full, no price range, and no flavor/beer profile makes it difficult to point you in a good direction.
Do you have a local B&M?

Throw some Fuentes in there. You can't go wrong. Or any other brand made by Fuente (like Ashton, Diamond Crown, Cuesta Rey, Montesino, La Unica, etc.) Some Padrons would be good too.

Know this:

Most maduro cigars (dark-colored) are medium-bodied (a few range to strong) and the flavors are typically chocolatey/coffee-y. Practically all Connecticut Shade (light colored) are mild... some range to mild/medium and the flavors are generally creamy. Nearly all cigars with a sungrown wrapper are medium to strong and the flavors are typically spicy. The key to a good strong cigar is that it also be "smooth"-tasting. There are a lot of crappy strong cigars out there because they lack that smoothness. Some of the good strong cigars are any Fuente sungrowns, Ashton VSGs, Fuente Opus X (good luck finding those), Padrons 2000, 4000, 5000, Londres (good bang for buck) and Anniversarios 1964 (medium/strong) and 1926.

For length, in many cases, shorter cigars can be stronger due to the proportional amount of ligero leaves (strong). Ligero leaves are short (in premium hand-made cigars, the leaves run the whole length of the cigar) and therefore are found more in shorter cigars. So, for example, a Fuente Chateau Sungrown is a short Robusto-style cigar and is pretty strong. Compare that to it's longer counterpart, the Fuente Double-Chateau Sungrown, which is more of a medium-bodied smoke.

This is some good advice. A number of snobs also prefer slightly thicker and longer cigars. The makers blend different tobaccos at different ratios throughout the length of the cigar, so if you're into a "flavor profile", the thicker and longer cigars can be better controlled by the roller for proper blending and consistency since they're working with more area and tobacco. A robusto is about right for me for the small end of a cigar.

Sungrowns are the latest thing, and provide a bit more sweet and citrus. I second Fuente, and Padrons. My two go-to brands. I love tons of cigars from other manufacturers, but I find that nearly any Fuente and nearly any Padron are good, whereas other manufacturers I have to be a bit more picky.

FWIW
I am definately not an expert and wouldn't even say I'm experienced enough to call myself a "novice."
I smoke Cigars only once-twice a year while on my fishing trip. I've never smoked cigarettes. My tolerance for smoke if fairly low/mild, but I used to dip so I like the tobacco flavor. I really like the Drew Estates Juicy Lucy, but I think it would be difficult to draw that out for an hour, they usually last me 45min tops.
My advice is to go to a decent cigar shop tell him a little about your tastes and importantly your budget and let them put together a sampler of 3-4 different cigars. When you find the one you like spring for a half box and a travel humidor...
A lot of them in Chicago will let you byob and you can sit watch the game have a homebrew or two (hell he might trade you one of one sample for sample) and puff away.

The only one I used to go to in the city is way South (Beverly, 105th & Western) but incedentally is near BevArt (100th and western) so if you need supplies you can kill 2 birds with one stone.
You could also score some points with your girl and drive out to the Michigan City, IN outlet malls. There's a nice shop there you can have a smoke while she shops...

Please go check out Blowinsmoke.com.

Awesome cigar forum that I got into. I started with Cuesta Reys but have moved on to Tats and CC brands. Every cigar brand is different except for Pepins stuff (the same but great). Fuente is good start go with the chateu SG's if any (FFOX are really just ok don't waste your money, I still have 15).

This is coming from a person who has two 500 count humidors. One for NC's and one for CC's.

Really check out the above site except we can be kinda cruel.

Snobs?! Nein nein nein mein herring. We are elitists! LOL!

All of the cigars listed are good in their own manner. Don't forget to look past the elite name brands to discover great cigars at more pocket friendly prices.

One of the best sites you can go to is Cigarbid or Cigar International.

5 Vegas, Don Tomas, Mayorga, CAO, Drew Estates, NUB, Punch, Oliva, La Caya, Torano and Gran Habanoare all good cigars. Go on to Cigar Bid and check out the samplers and then check out some humidors in their mechandise auctions.

Shoot me a PM and I'll send you a sampler.

COHIBA, was the only cigar at my wedding...dont know why but that is just my cigar for all times but i do like the Davidoff #2 bit spendy but you only live once

Snobs?! Nein nein nein mein herring. We are elitists! LOL!

All of the cigars listed are good in their own manner. Don't forget to look past the elite name brands to discover great cigars at more pocket friendly prices.

One of the best sites you can go to is Cigarbid or Cigar International.

5 Vegas, Don Tomas, Mayorga, CAO, Drew Estates, NUB, Punch, Oliva, La Caya, Torano and Gran Habanoare all good cigars. Go on to Cigar Bid and check out the samplers and then check out some humidors in their mechandise auctions.

Shoot me a PM and I'll send you a sampler.

5 Vegas Miami are great, They are also made by Don Pepin.:ban:

I'm partial to Aston VSG's, Cohibas, and MonteCristo's, but if I'm buying for a special occasion, lately I've been buying the Padron Anniversario series. They're a liitle pricy(The 1964's are in the $15-$17 range), but one of the best cigars that I've had since smoking Cohiba Havanas in Jamaica

I'm partial to Aston VSG's, Cohibas, and MonteCristo's, but if I'm buying for a special occasion, lately I've been buying the Padron Anniversario series. They're a liitle pricy(The 1964's are in the $15-$17 range), but one of the best cigars that I've had since smoking Cohiba Havanas in Jamaica

my father in-law would kill to get more of those Cohiba Havanas any chance you would sell three??? then i could do no wrong in his eyes, mother in-law might be a different sorry though...

my father in-law would kill to get more of those Cohiba Havanas any chance you would sell three??? then i could do no wrong in his eyes, mother in-law might be a different sorry though...

I HAD a connection through a friend of mine, who bought boxes from a judge in Chicago (allegedly), but alas, the judge was busted a couple of years ago for some kind of wrong-doing. (In Chicago ! Whoulda thunk ???)
Now, I just have to wait until my next venture out of the country. Sorry.

You really should check out Tatuaje's as the are better quality and flavor profile then what is coming out of Cuba today.

I have had just about every Cuban cigar (not really but a bunch), still waiting on the behike, I order 2 times a month one cc and one nc. Tats are my fav. To start I would pick up a fiver from Cigarsinternational.com of Tatuaje Noellas.

Back