Any braggots out there?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumbaa

I prefer 23383
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Decided on trying to make one myself and never even tried the stuff. I figure it's gonna take like FOR-EV-AH to age, in fact I dont even plan on opening the first one until Christmas.

Anyone ever make some b4 or have any experiance with braggot? here's my plan

10lbs Clover Honey
9lbs Pale 6-row
1lbs Crystal 80L
.25lbs Special B
.25lbs Victory

mash for 1 hour at 155, sparge with 5.25 galons at 170
boil down to 5.5 gallons

1oz Perle (6.6AA) @ 20 minutes
1tsp Irish Moss @ 10 minutes
1oz Fuggle (4.5AA) @ 5 minutes

add honey at flame out
rack onto Oak Chips in secondary

Using WYeast 1728 Scottish Ale yeast

May I recommend you start by fermenting the ale portion and then add the honey and a high gravity yeast in two weeks or so? This is actually how most traditional braggots were made. 1728 is a good yeast for strong ales, but it can't handle what you are proposing. Also, once the honey has been added, the yeast will generate a great deal of heat.

You might want to brew the ale and only braggot a gallon or so.

Richard - If you are planning on using the AHA PRA recipe, be ready for some REALLY fine stuff!

1728 is a good yeast for strong ales, but it can't handle what you are proposing.

Yeah I thought of that already and plan on adding some champaigne yeast or sweet meed yeast once the ale yeast dies off . . . just forgot to type that in above.

I'm not really worried about the heat. It's still only March and I figure by the time I get to the point of adding the new yeast I'll be able to move the whole mess outside and wont have to worry too much about it freezing or getting too cold

Holy Moley! I get an estimated OG of 1.130!
That IS going to take awhile!

yeah I plan on opening the first bottle around Christmas but honestly dont expect it to really be "done" for 3 years or so

Pumbaa said:
Yeah I thought of that already and plan on adding some champaigne yeast or sweet meed yeast once the ale yeast dies off . . . just forgot to type that in above.

I'm not really worried about the heat. It's still only March and I figure by the time I get to the point of adding the new yeast I'll be able to move the whole mess outside and wont have to worry too much about it freezing or getting too cold

yeah I plan on opening the first bottle around Christmas but honestly dont expect it to really be "done" for 3 years or so
I'd love to try some of that. It sounds very intriguing. I'm wondering what comes through the most. The alcohol from the honey or the malt character. Sounds like fun!.
:tank:

Latest posts

Back