When Did You Switch To All Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomWaggle

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the forums and to brewing. I am two extract brew sessions in and enjoyed every second of it. I tend to want to move to the next thing very quickly and for me it would be All Grain brewing. My beers have been pretty good too. I was wondering how many brews/months/years did you guys go through before switching to all grain brewing. I am thinking about waiting a year but I don't know if I can wait that long. I don't think I will ever stop doing extract brewing because of the ease and its not as time consuming.

I was going to wait till I did 50+ gallons of extract. The a keggle set fell in my lap and I went AG after about 30g

Whenever you're informed enough to make the step, otherwise your beers will get worse, not better.

That's why I still haven't delved into all grain, but BIAB is a good stepping stone, if not replacement. Just expect to make more mistakes if you try these too early.

I did the two Mr. Beers that came with the kit. I then did one extract and then a partial mash with BIAB.
After that I went for it and have enjoyed AG since.
As others said, just when you're ready, you're ready.

I did 4 extract then 4 partial mash while I assembled my all grain setup. just over 3 years in now. This past winter I did some extract recipes just because I could do it inside rather than getting everything set up on my porch.

Whenever you're informed enough to make the step, otherwise your beers will get worse, not better.

That's why I still haven't delved into all grain, but BIAB is a good stepping stone, if not replacement. Just expect to make more mistakes if you try these too early.

I don't know about that.

Really the only difference between all grain and extract is mashing.

Once you get a hang of doughing in and holding a mash temp, everything else is exactly the same.

I don't know about that.

Once you get a hang of doughing in and holding a mash temp, everything else is exactly the same.

It can be, but it might not be. You have to take into account water factors and efficiency. Sure you might find a good method fast, but your beers could just as easily suffer if you don't have the knowledge to make it ideal.

I don't know about that.

He hit it right on the head.

I brewed probably 8 extract batches before Christmas when my wife bought me an awesome bag for BIAB (brewinabag.com highly recommended). Thank god she did because most of my extracts were terrible and my AG have been great.

Just go for it. I am still doing BIAB and have no ambition to get a mash tun. It makes for a super simple start into all grain. You wont regret it.

It can be, but it might not be. You have to take into account water factors and efficiency. Sure you might find a good method fast, but your beers could just as easily suffer if you don't have the knowledge to make it ideal.

Well there's always going to be ways to tweak and improve your brew for sure. That's why this forum exists.

But that's no reason to avoid all grain altogether.

Water chemistry and PH is advanced brewing. You gotta crawl before you walk brother!!

Well there's always going to be ways to tweak and improve your brew for sure. That's why this forum exists.

But that's no reason to avoid all grain altogether.

Water chemistry and PH is advanced brewing. You gotta crawl before you walk brother!!

I agree, Im hard headed and only learn the hard way.

But I think my point still stands that its MUCH easier to screw up if you don't have a good handle on even the basics.

I started with all grain, did one extract batch after half a dozen AGs but never again. Sure my first couple of batches were pretty bad but it didn't take long for things to start clicking.

I also malted my own barley for 4 or 5 batches and have made crystal malt a couple of times. This was a fun learning experience but I there's no way I could produce any kind of consistent result on these home made malts.

AG was a PITA until I setup my two tier keggle system. I probably did 5-10 extract batches before going to all grain.

I used to make a helluva mess in the kitchen on brew day... :)

I did two extract stovetop batches, then went outside biab on a craigslist turkey fryer propane burner. Way better beer, but I've learned a whole lot since those extracts.

I highly recommend biab, or miab if you really want to use a cooler mlt. Take a look at my biab water calculator, just make sure you have your equipment ready and it shouldn't take you over 4.5 hours at most to brew. I'd recommend measuring your boil off rate accurately and taking lots of notes.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f244/b...r-modifications-now-includes-sparging-485015/

1 extract, then a few partial extracts, then BIAB the last 6 batches - so easy. I can't see doing anything else... standard practice for all-grain in Australia too, btw...

I did the two extract batches that were with my kit that I ordered. After that I went all grain on everything except some small experimental batches here and there (learned lesson from a very bad beer).

IMO the basics are not hard to pick up for all grain. The first batch or two may not be perfect (or even good), but it is pretty easy to figure out what you did wrong when you read a little bit. Knowing your local water (have a sample tested) and doing some basic water additions was my first real lesson and made my beer a lot better.

1 batch extract, all grain since. BIAB was not as widespread then as it is now, but if I had known about it, I probably would have given it a go. Currently using a cooler MLT.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

3 extract, 10partial mash, biab all grain ever since 35all grain batches.

AG from the get-go. I bought some kit tins after I had done a few because they were running them out at kmart.

One extract that came with my kit and 2 biab AG batches which the first is almost ready to open but it tasted great at bottling so fingers crossed that its better by the end of the week!
Nothing like jumping in the deep end!

Drink more coffee and do stupid things faster

Everyone is different. I wouldn't think of it in time but just do whatever your comfortable with. It takes some time to learn AG plus you need some additional equipment. I made one extract, one partial AG and then went to BIAB until I built my mash tun. I love the flexibility AG provides but my first few AG weren't the best. It takes time to learn your style.

I started brewing again after a 20 yr hiatus in Aug of '13 with a 5 gal extract batch using a turkey fryer, kettle, and bucket fermenter every other week (14 batches). In Apr '14 I went to 5 gal all grain batches using a cooler and batch sparge and still brew ~ every other week (8 batches as of yesterday).

I switched on my third batch. My first two extract batches were pretty awful, but likely for reasons other than being extract. That first AG batch wasn't anything to write home about either, but it at least gave me the encouragement that I could actually brew something I (somewhat) enjoyed drinking. That same AG equipment has been serving me well for the past 100+ batches I've brewed.

I started all grain. Never fine an extract batch. If you can cook, and you have joy of homebrewing....you can do it.

Went to all-grain after my 1st coopers kit and haven't looked back. It's really not as difficult as it can be made out to be.

Began extract brewing in 1994-5, made 15-20 kits over the next few years. Stopped for a long while after my divorce in '03. Started back with 6-8 more kits in 2011 and finally made it to AG brewing in late 2013. Have done about 10 batches and most are much better than I ever did with extract. This year I'm closing in on brewing about 80-100 gallons (5 at a time) which would be my most prolific year ever as a homebrewer!

I probably brewed 3 batches all pre-hopped extract, then a year of extract with grains before going all grain with a ZapPap setup. I kept thinking there had to be a more complicated way to brew(chronic severe ADHD). Why spend 3 hours brewing when I can make it take 7-8 hours? But after a few batches I enjoyed the tighter control over what I was brewing and I've not used extract since around 1995. I do miss having a constant supply of those 1 gallon plastic buckets, they were very handy for lots of things.

Back