I have honey and cider and want to experiment.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BWN

Reaction score
I have some preservative free store bought cider. I also have 3 lbs. of honey(I know that is not a lot). I have brown sugar and regular table sugar as well. I have Notty, US-05, S-04, T-58, red star pasteur champagne, 71B-1122and K1V-1116 for yeast. I want to try and make a cyser. I could probably get another three pounds of honey as well. After searching through the cider forum and this one I decided this was a better place to post. Does anyone have any good suggestions on what I could do with what I have?

I think you need to be a member to view that link.
It doesn't seem to show or list as being from the patrons sections.....

So just register..... you'll find considerably more mead related stuff there and they're equally as helpful......

I have been reading over at the got mead site and found lots of useful info. Over there.

I am going to try this: 5 gallons target brand cider
3 lbs local wildflower honey.
2 lbs brown sugar
Wyeast yeast nutrient, this is all I have maybe I'll put some raisens in as I have read they can be used as nutrients.
1 cinnamon stick
Still undecided on yeast, any suggestions or comments on recipes?

EC-1118 is pretty easy to manage. Just don't go with a "mead" yeast. They are finicky.

The brown sugar may be a pointless addition as it will just boost the ABV without any discernible benefit. Its unlikely that you'd taste it so it might be better to go with extra honey instead.

If its just sweetness youre aiming for then its probably easier to ferment dry, then stabilise it, then back sweeten too taste...

From what you have I'd go with the honey, juice and 1116. I agree to dropping the brown sugar. Get more honey or just use plain sugar if you are looking for higher gravity. I've had 1116 stall at cooler temps so don't let it get too out of range on the cool side.

I am actually looking for it to be dry. I have made JAOM and it is to sweet for me. I like my ciders dry as well. I forgot to mention that this will be in my basement at about 60 degrees F. It will warm to about 65 - 68 as summer roles in. I can't get any more local honey any time soon. I could get Walmart honey though. Do you think even though it is store bought it is better than brown sugar?

So I just picked up five lbs if Walmart honey. I plan on adding eight lbs to the cider and using the 1116. Hopefully I come up with something drinkable.

Two more questions(probably not the last) I have read hightest's sticky on staggered nutrient additions. I have Wyeast wine nutrient and fermex. Any suggestions in how to use these? I can follow the directions on the bottle but I didn't know the best way to go about the staggered nutrient additions. Also is 5g of yeast sufficient or should I use 10 ?

I mixed it all together and pitched the yeast this morning. Didn't realize it but when I bought the cider 3 of the gallons were spiced cider with orange, clove, and cinnamon. I didn't bother adding any cinnamon sticks. OG of 1.094. Now the waiting begins.

Back