Drop out.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orfy

For the love of beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've just done an Extract Porter with a John Bull no boil kit.
I'm not after anything special, I just wanted an easy to do session beer. I know all the arguments for boiling and additions etc, but John Bull states to boil would drive of the balance hop aroma because it's been boiled at the plant. Plus i Only has an hour spare to do the "brew" Any way that's the background my question is.

Considering there would of been no grain or hops in my brew and I pitched 7g of dried yeast. Is it normal to get this much drop out within 4 hours?

dropout.jpg

Activity.jpg

Brother, I think that that's just the yeast growing in colonies. As soon as it strarts feeding, that stuff will rise and become your krausen.

it is cool to watch. looks like a whirlwind going on inside w/ stuff buzzing around everywhere! just have to be careful w/ it being light struck.

Yes, so right. I keep mine in a back bedroom with the shades pulled. When not observing, I keep a damp towel wrapped around those that I'm fermenting at 70 degrees.

Those fermenting at 68 or below, I keep in a rubbermaid box in a couple inches of water with an AC vent piped down into it. I add ice when I need to get the temps down. My kolsch is holding at 65 for 3 days just changing out 1 gal jugs of Ice twice a day.

very nice, very nice. i broke down a while back and finaly got a 7 cu ft chest freezer to do all my fermenting in. just added an external thermostat. talk about make a difference. doing all-grain, making yeast starters, and controling ferm temps is fun! talk about control of your brews.......

Yea, I'm headed that direction but it'll need to wait till spring. I really need three freezers:

One for primary fermenting.
One for lagering.
One to build a really nice kegorator. :rolleyes:

Hmmm...I vaguely remember having a chest freezer at my parents' house when I was a kid, and since they never throw anything away... I'm going to have to look in that closet next time I'm down there (and see if I can convince dear ol' Mom to part ways with things she probably froze in the 80's).

use that 80's stuff for adjuncts!

my next buy (since i just had to replace my old keg fridge due to smelly crabs during the 4 week power outage) is another chesty freezer for lagering. need more room too!

Back