Group buy in Chicago?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So are we starting pickups tomorrow or Friday bmason? Originally you said Thursday, but if Friday works better for you that's all good by me. I'll have to stop by after 5pm either way, but I'd like to pickup before the weekend since I'm aiming to brew this weekend.

Mike_A, you can stop by on Friday after 5PM. Maybe you'll meet Ryan. I'm going to break down the split orders starting tomorrow so I don't want to recieve anybody until Friday and beyond. I'm hoping everyone can pick up by this weekend. I need my floor space.

Friday it is! Man, I'm excited. This is going to be my first AG batch, and I just built a brewstand for it (insert shameless self-promotion here) and I can't wait to break it in.

I don't expect you to wait around all evening, so I'll do my best to get out there as early as I can. I'll be leaving from home hopefully around 4:30. Thanks so much again for pulling this all together, you could not have made it any easier.

Friday it is! Man, I'm excited. This is going to be my first AG batch, and I just built a brewstand for it (insert shameless self-promotion here) and I can't wait to break it in.

I don't expect you to wait around all evening, so I'll do my best to get out there as early as I can. I'll be leaving from home hopefully around 4:30. Thanks so much again for pulling this all together, you could not have made it any easier.

Sounds good. See you then. BTW, very nice brew stand.

Just heard on the radio that there's an overturned grain truck on Arsenal Rd. in the southern suburbs of Chicago. I bet that is affiliated with our grain distributor mid country malt. If you're near there stop by with a bucket and a shovel. :)

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Home Brew Talk

Anyone else out in the northwest suburbs? With gas prices as they are we could "grain pool" and I'll bring out your grain for a bit of gas money :)

I can probably make it down there on Friday as well if that works bmason.

conpewter said:
Anyone else out in the northwest suburbs? With gas prices as they are we could "grain pool" and I'll bring out your grain for a bit of gas money :)

I can probably make it down there on Friday as well if that works bmason.

What time on friday are you thinking, conpewter?

Mike_A, you can stop by on Friday after 5PM. Maybe you'll meet Ryan. I'm going to break down the split orders starting tomorrow so I don't want to recieve anybody until Friday and beyond. I'm hoping everyone can pick up by this weekend. I need my floor space.

I plan on coming early Saturday morning around 10 AM. Do I need to do anything special when I come pick it up?

I plan on coming early Saturday morning around 10 AM. Do I need to do anything special when I come pick it up?

yes, a single bottle of your homebrew if you have any. :D I would like to see how my beer compares to other fellow home brewers. other than that I can't thinkof anything else you would need to bring.

yes, a single bottle of your homebrew if you have any. :D I would like to see how my beer compares to other fellow home brewers. other than that I can't thinkof anything else you would need to bring.

I already have an assorted case packed;) Too bad two of my beers that placed in the HBT competition are all gone but I will have my 21.7% IPA’s and a few other decent brews that you will be sipping on soon.

I already have an assorted case packed;) Too bad two of my beers that placed in the HBT competition are all gone but I will have my 21.7% IPA’s and a few other decent brews that you will be sipping on soon.

Nice! Thank you.

I broke down the rice hulls into units. Those things are really packed tightly into the sacks. I think they're vacuum packed because they seem to have expanded 3-fold. The other grain splits may have to wait until tomorrow because there are too many sacks and I don't have enough room to seperate and spread everything apart nicely. Once Ryan picks up his 13 sacks it will be easier to sort everything. 13 sacks...I'm jealous!

My brother is picking mine up Saturday at 9am. Brewing 10 gallons of a Cascade pale ale as soon as he arrives at my place with it.

bmason, I will have to try to set something up for middle of next week through next weekend... Just giving you a heads up. Will let you know next week once I have a better picture of availability.

Randar said:
bmason, I will have to try to set something up for middle of next week through next weekend... Just giving you a heads up. Will let you know next week once I have a better picture of availability.

So to confirm, you will not be coming today (friday) at 5 pm but some time next week. That's fine, see you then.

Just finished weighing and packaging the split orders. The cartons are sealed but of course you guys can open them, inspect them and then sign off. Will start seeing you guys soon.

Hell yea! A **** load of grain and a 80 degree weekend. I may have to take time out from the room build and clean off some equipment! See you soon!

Did everyone get my number from Ace in case you need to call me for directions? Also, come through the alley. There's an overhead door next to a yard. That's where we will load from. Looking forward to meeting my fellow home brewers.

Did everyone get my number from Ace in case you need to call me for directions? Also, come through the alley. There's an overhead door next to a yard. That's where we will load from. Looking forward to meeting my fellow home brewers.

If I get raped and robbed, I'm going to be very upset.

Phone number and address from the quote loaded in my phone.

If I get raped and robbed, I'm going to be very upset.

Nice:D

For those who have a little...shall we say...trepidation about getting to my place, Grand Ave. instead of North Ave. is another option. I've left my shop at 3AM in the past and everything was fine. See you soon!

Mike A was the first person to pick up grain. Nice meeting you, Mike.

9.5-10.5% I will check my notes I saved that on my pc but I know it's about 10%. It's water once you have the 120! Drinking a Belgian honey ale now. Only about 80% carbonated but very nice.

ThatGuyRyan said:
9.5-10.5% I will check my notes I saved that on my pc but I know it's about 10%. It's water once you have the 120! Drinking a Belgian honey ale now. Only about 80% carbonated but very nice.

No wonder it me so hard. Good stuff.

It was a pleasure meeting Ace_Club, sudsmcgee, wegz15 and demon's brother during today's pickups. This buy has gone smoother than I could have asked for. RC0032 is picking up Monday or Tuesday. Then that leaves just Randar. Do you know when you might be able to swing by next week, Randar?

Thanks for organizing this. Just put 10 gallons on Bee Cave Haus Pale in the fermentor using the grain from this order.

Demon said:
Thanks for organizing this. Just put 10 gallons on Bee Cave Haus Pale in the fermentor using the grain from this order.

No problem at all putting this together. You guys didn't waste anytime at all did you. Nice.

Then that leaves just Randar. Do you know when you might be able to swing by next week, Randar?

I will have to swing by Tuesday or Wednesday evening. You listed "5pm on" earlier.

I think I could get down there around 7:00-7:30 or so Tuesday or Wednesday evening. That work for you? You have a preference?

I will have to swing by Tuesday or Wednesday evening. You listed "5pm on" earlier.

I think I could get down there around 7:00-7:30 or so Tuesday or Wednesday evening. That work for you? You have a preference?

Randar, let's make it for Wednesday between 7-8PM. Copy the number on the quote and call me when you're nearby. See you then.

I met randar this afternoon when he picked up his grain. Nice meeting you randar. With his pick up this group buy is officially completed. It took exactly one month and one day from my initial post inquiring about Chicago group buys to completion of one. It was a pleasure meeting everyone and thanks to Ace who helped coordinate this and to everyone who participated for making this happen.

For those of you who weren't able to get in, or those who have used up their grain already (Ryan?), I would be available to coordinate another buy and drop off at my place. However, if I am not buying grain for myself then I would prefer to have someone else handle the finances so I don't have to tie up my money for a purchase that I wouldn't be participating in. Just let us know by posting on thread. Again, thanks and happy brewing!

Back