Could you hack a Brehouse Wheat kit to make a White Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyGuy

Reaction score
I really like white beers like Hoegaarden and Rickard's White.

Is it possible to make something similar using a Brewhouse Kit as a base?

I know white beers are wheat beers, but I think the Brewhouse Wheat is a different type of Wheat ale (clear and crisp as opposed to cloudy and flavorful).

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Cheers!

I don't know what is in the Wheat beer kit, but if it is an extract kit, you can probably scavenge the malt extract. You probably have some combination of light malt extract and wheat malt extract, which could be used for a white. I would say that you will likely need to get new hops, coriander, orange peel, and a Belgian yeast strain. Even so, the color of the beer will likely be darker than a true white.

I make a lot of Brew House Prairie Wheat Ale kits. I can tell you that they are very flexible. I don't think you'd have any problem at all in making them into a European style white. Just use an appropriate yeast, and add your flavouring agents. I try to add my flavouring agents twice: once as a boiled infusion put into the fermenter when I pitch my yeast, and again dry in a bag after primary fermentation is complete. As far as cloudiness goes, just do what the Europeans do: pour the lees from the bottle into the glass along with the rest of the beer.

I am almost finished drinking a wheat brewhouse that I made in the winter. I scrapped the Coopers yeast and used Wyeast 3056, soaked the rind of 4 grapefruits in vodka, which I added to a secondary, vodka and all. This gave me something that would stand side by side with Hoegarrden, and to get the haze, and increase the wheat sulfer taste, I add the sediment to the glass.

Make sure you use a weizen yeast rather than the ale yeast that I believe comes in the kit (it produces the typical clove/banana profile as long as you keep the temp in the right range and it also does not floc very well so tends to stay cloudy). Also if you want a nice cloudy appearance I would suggest that you boil (I know the brewhouse kits are non boil) at least some of the wort with a tablespoon of good old household flour - this will create an almost permanent haze.

Sweet, thanks everyone for the advice.

How much orange peel and coriander would you recommend? And when should they be added? I was thinking after the primary fermentation was done.

Latest posts

Back