For Turricaine Hobgoblin Extra Strong Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2nd Street Brewery

Reaction score
Turricaine

Here is the recipe, I did mine from the extract version. Almost cracked a bottle tonight but it's only been a week.

10.75 lbs Maris Otter 2-row Pale Malt
6oz British 55L Crystal Malt
1oz Britsh Chocolate Malt
1/2oz British Black Patent Malt

Mash at 153 F for 90 min

3/4 oz Progress Hops @7% AA (bittering) for 60 min
4oz Malto Dextrin

2/3oz Styrian Golding Hops for 15 min
Irish Moss

1/4 oz Styrian Golding for 1 min

Yeast
Wyeast 1187 Ringwood Ale (1st choice)
Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale (2nd choice)

Turricaine, Just wanted to let you know I cracked a bottle this afternoon and it tastes great. Real close to what I remember the Hobgoblin I bought at the beerstore. Taking a case to my wifes family reunion this weekend and letting the other case sit for a few more weeks to condition more.

Actually I didn't chose any of the ingredients, as I said it came from a recipe I got a book called Beer Captured. Also I did the extract version which calls for much less grains. It came out good, we drank some this past weekend at a family reunion. Did not seem too strong as far as ABV.

Well my 2nd ever AG batch has just cleared up enough to start with its consumption. Even though no fining were added it seems to have become transparent already after less than 3 weeks since the brew date. It doesnt taste great mind you.

I definately am liking the idea of using 10 pounds of base-malt (eg Marris Otter) and then adding only minimal amounts of £djuncts. I want to use roasted varieties that go beyond yellow/orange and impart a copper color on the finished batch.

The shop-bought Hobgoblin ale has a very toasted flavor too which is quite agreeable. I even read in JP's e-book that you can toast some of your own base-malt in a homeoven until it caramalizes and then combine this will the bulk of the grains.

Back