Apfelwein question. Meat???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
olllllo said:
After a few hours it cleared up. Hard to tell here.

CIMG2345.jpg

That actually cleared up quite well which surprised me. I have a batch that I can split off. What was the ratio of pork to apfelwein?

^^^ Yikes, what is that in the bottom picture, that's one scary looking thing.

PeteOz77 said:
Alright, I said I was revolted, but I must know. Has it cleared and did you taste it?

yes, weve seen this build up and we must know the aftermath. it is 'the moment of truth'.

I'm guessing from the picture that's one chop per half gallon...

That's what I'm going with.

I was reluctant to post anything about this earlier since, none of you will believe me.

It cleared fine.
At the time I had the fridge set to lagering temps, so there was a slight slick of oil on the top which I manages to rack around.

I served it at my open house.

I know for sure DesertBrew had it and I am almost certain that trabus had it, but I'm not too sure if wild did.

We all felt that the 1 chop per 1/2 gallon was far too little, but I guess I should let them speak for themselves.

And yes, the pork was cooked!

What I can tell you is the pork added a savoryness that is simply indescribable!

talleymonster said:
OK then. Who else has made this?

I took 4lbs of pork loin trimmed every spec of fat off of it and sliced it nice and thin then put it into my dehydrator for 3 full days. If I would have salted it it would have made great pork jerky, but thats another project.
I took a Apflwein that I did on super bowl weekend that was ready to keg but instead I racked it over the now 15 ounces dried pork loin and its been on it for exactly two weeks.
I just drew quart jar out yesterday and it ROCKS! Today a neighbor stopped over and I had him try it and he loved it. He kept asking what was different about this batch, he said "it tastes so familiar" I had all I could do just to keep a straight face. Before he left he said I know you cant sell it but couldn't we trade something for a gallon of it?
I am going to leave it in there for about another week and hope it takes on even more pork-aroma and flavor and then keg and carb it.

Do you think I could send it to a BJCP sanctioned competition? Would it just go in the 28C Applewine category?

If this turns out as good as I am expecting when carbed, I wonder how it would be if you grilled or smoked the pork before drying and adding it? The possibilities are almost endless.
I'm sure glad I didn't just split the batch like I was going to, it wont last a week I am betting.

Edit: Forgot recipe

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Porked Apflwein
Brewer: SuperiorBrew
Style: Applewine
TYPE: Extract

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 0.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.018 SG

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 gal Apple Juice 100% (No Preservatives) (PrimaMisc
15.00 oz Dried Pork (Secondary 3.0 weeks) Misc
2 lbs Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 66.67 %
1 lbs Lactose (add at kegging) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 33.33 %
1 Pkgs Montrachet (Red Star) Yeast-Ale

Ive been thinking about this I guess I finally have to do it now. Ill be picking up my pork from the farmers market tomorrow.

What are your thought about adding some bacon to the mix?

olllllo - Did you marinate the pork at all, or was it just straight out of the package? I know that some of the tenderloins have flavors added (e.g. peppercorn), I'm wondering how that would turn out...

SuperiorBrew said:
I took 4lbs of pork loin trimmed every spec of fat off of it and sliced it nice and thin then put it into my dehydrator for 3 full days. If I would have salted it it would have made great pork jerky, but thats another project.
I took a Apflwein that I did on super bowl weekend that was ready to keg but instead I racked it over the now 15 ounces dried pork loin and its been on it for exactly two weeks.

I think drying the pork is the way to go. Salting it would clash with the apfelwein big style I think. Good thinking to trim as much fat as possible and not cook it (I think olllllo cooked his) - I think the more residual fat you have, the less stable the finished product.

It got me thinking that you could make other combos of meat+"beer", and stealing from the world of cooking, I'm thinking you could dry beef an Irish Stout. I'm making a batch this weekend so I might take a gallon out at bottling and give it a try!

Actually, I've taken the "Burnt Ends" off slow smoked Pork Butts, dropped them in a keg of Apfelwein and let sit at room temp for a few weeks. The delicate "Smoked Apfelwein" aroma & flavor is fricking amazing. You would think it was made in Bamberg.

BostonButts2.jpg

EdWort said:
Actually, I've taken the "Burnt Ends" off slow smoked Pork Butts, dropped them in a keg of Apfelwein and let sit at room temp for a few weeks. The delicate "Smoked Apfelwein" aroma & flavor is fricking amazing. You would think it was made in Bamberg.

No offense Ed, but there you have it folks....straight from the horses mouth. ;)

EdWort said:
I've been called Mr. Ed before. :D

Horsemeat hefe?

I'm thinking that trimming as much fat as possible is key. The nice, slow roast should let most of the fat sweat out of the meat.

Hey, I've had a dinner of bacon and apfelwein before, why not make it a one-pot meal?

cd2448 said:
I think drying the pork is the way to go. Salting it would clash with the apfelwein big style I think. Good thinking to trim as much fat as possible and not cook it (I think olllllo cooked his) - I think the more residual fat you have, the less stable the finished product.

It got me thinking that you could make other combos of meat+"beer", and stealing from the world of cooking, I'm thinking you could dry beef an Irish Stout. I'm making a batch this weekend so I might take a gallon out at bottling and give it a try!

I had been researching making a Peanut Butter Porter for the last couple months and getting all the oil out of the peanut butter was everyones main concern there. Thats what gave me the idea to start with the leenest cut of meat and dry it out. I just took a close loot at the porked apflwein and there it little to no oil on the surface and the meat looks just like the day I sliced it again. I was thinking a piece of that fried up with some eggs was looking pretty good this morning. Maybe when i rack it this weekend I'll fry some up and see how it is.

I used straight unadulterated chop.

I used a very lean cut and I tried to keep the fat to a minimum by padding it with paper towels. Still I may have reduced it's porkaliciousness that way.

I am so pleased you hadd success with this Superior. And Ed... I am flattered.

Did it say olllllo what kind of apples where used in the juice? I would think a high acidic apple like a Mutsu would help destroy some of the fat so you don't have to trim and loose the flavor.

I used to have a drink in England called Scrumpy, I never knew how to make it until curiosity got the better of me and I did a Google search. Low and behold I came across a recipe using fermented apples, raisins and raw meat, anyone want to try it?

TxBrew said:
Did it say olllllo what kind of apples where used in the juice? I would think a high acidic apple like a Mutsu would help destroy some of the fat so you don't have to trim and loose the flavor.

What about adding a little bit of lactic acid? I'm assuming that fermenting with lactobacillus wouldn't be a good idea, but just using the acid (or maybe an acid blend) would help.

EvilTOJ said:
You are all sick sick sons of bitches. I'm too poor to afford pork :(

Of course you're missing the poor man's alternative, DRIED PORK RINDS! Talk about loss to absorbtion though. You might want to use a nylon bag so you can wring it out afterwards.

I really think this is a great idea, but I am thinking chicken's feet! You can find them in Mexican grocery stores.

Chicken_Feet_5x7_72_dpi.jpg

You remember the pig's feet in the big jar at the bars and the bottles of chile beer with a pepper in the bottom? Why not use Charlie's process for using chicken in a beer and then put one those chicken feet in each bottle. I bet it would rock!

I remember my grandad used to chew on those chicken feet. I always wonders what there was in them to be worth all the effort, but he loved those suckers, said they were the best part. My granny also used to make this kick-ass stewed chicken and apples dish. I think this would just be a variation on that!

You might have to use a bomber to allow the foot to fit, but that would be really cool. Call it Chicken Ed or something!

Does anybody know of a smaller variety of fowl that we might use for regular sized batches?

Which ever meat is use I think seasoning could be important. Mint might go well with pork and apples. They are all sweet. Cloves too could add a nice touch.

I just made a batch. But I used a leg lamb. Not wanting to risk infection, I roasted the lamb till it was medium rare, then cut up the roast and added it to the primary. I don't plan on using a secondary. I figured any blood left will hopefully ferment out. I even added the bone for good measure, MMMmmm, fermented marrow!

I think I'll filter this one, though I may have to buy a new filter after words. lol. About time I bought a new .3 micron anyway. Oh, I just rememebered. I have one of those plate filters used for wine. I usually just use the pump on it but it will probably save me having to buy a new PETE filter!

I'm thinking of adding some spices to the primary but I'm not sure what would go well with this. Any ideas?

I'll have to add pics tomorrow. My Camera is at my cousins house.

What about some hard boiled eggs, Eggs and apple juice go well togather, plus it would look cool while fermenting.

I think I will just be sticking to my pork for now :)

SuperiorBrew said:
What about some hard boiled eggs, Eggs and apple juice go well togather, plus it would look cool while fermenting.

I think I will just be sticking to my pork for now :)

I agree it is probably best to stay with the pork focus for now. We are into a new area here and if we get too "out there" we will lose the possibility of learner quickly due to the community efforts of one another.

So, the Chicken Ed will have to wait...

Since we are getting a little crazy here how about Smoked Sweetmeat Apfelwein made w/ bull testicles only smoked a little bit?

Rocky Mountain oysters, mountain oysters, prairie oysters, Montana tendergroin or swinging sirloin are North American culinary names given to buffalo, boar or bull testicles. They are usually peeled, coated in flour, pepper and salt, sometimes pounded flat, then deep-fried.

Sweetmeat.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocky_Mountain_oysters

Reading this thread and seeing the pictures I was just expecting a "Surprise April Fool's," but I just remembered looking up cider recipes a few months ago and finding several that mentioned the usage of raw meat.

I never thought it was real, where did this idea come from? I'm half tempted to make a 1 gallon batch now.

Schlenkerla said:
Since we are getting a little crazy here how about Smoked Sweetmeat Apfelwein made w/ bull testicles only smoked a little bit?

This thread has just gone beyond the point of no return:D

The porkfelwein I could see my self trying, but I draw the line at nutfelwein

Back