Good Munich Dunkel possible w/o a lager yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

butterpants

Reaction score
I searched and couldn't find a solid classic Dunkel with someone using an ale yeast. Dunkel happens to be one of my favorite styles but unfortunately I don't have lagering ability.... someone must have tried this?? Suggestions?

I'd use California Lager yeast which can ferment in the low to mid 60s. I just used it to make an Oktoberfest and have been using the yeast cake since.

A simple swamp cooler has helped me maintain a fermentation temp of 58-60F and I have had no off-flavors.

It should be easy enough to lager after fermentation, either in-the-bottle after carbonation is complete, or if you are kegging just let it sit in your kegerator for a while.

Well I could do mid 60ies in my basement no problemo.... though I needed months at 40ies. I just figured cleaning up in the lagering stage would want to release volatile compounds, sulphur, etc.... basically stuff I would want to get out of the carboy. Lagering in a bottle/keg is something I could do.... but seems like all the byproducts would still be there. Guess I just don't know enough about it!

mods you you please move this to recipies /ingredients... sorry!

Make your dunkel and use a clean yeast and ferment on the cool side and it will be fine.

I just made a porter with Nottingham (dry yeast). That ale yeast has a great quality that would work fine with your dunkel. Be careful to keep the OG down and it will turn out fine.

I used Notty a long time ago and had a bad packet. It ended in a horrible beer. This is the first time I've used it since, and I'm quite impressed.

Make your dunkel and use a clean yeast and ferment on the cool side and it will be fine.

I just made a porter with Nottingham (dry yeast). That ale yeast has a great quality that would work fine with your dunkel. Be careful to keep the OG down and it will turn out fine.

I used Notty a long time ago and had a bad packet. It ended in a horrible beer. This is the first time I've used it since, and I'm quite impressed.

Is 62 degrees low enough for this? (I don't ferment any cooler than that any more because I had condensation form when I went to 60, and it ruined the fermometer.)

Well I can certainly do that. Thanks!

Brew Day approaches and I'm still undecided on my 'clean ale' yeast I'll be using....

Nottingham
or
Wyeast Kolsch 2565
or
Wlp001 (California ale)

Will be in the basement at 65F. Thinking 3 weeks. Will fine with geletin. Thoughts?

Brew Day approaches and I'm still undecided on my 'clean ale' yeast I'll be using....

Nottingham
or
Wyeast Kolsch 2565
or
Wlp001 (California ale)

Will be in the basement at 65F. Thinking 3 weeks. Will fine with geletin. Thoughts?

kolsch yeast will give it's own distinctive flavor you may not want in your dunkel.

Ok thanks guys... it appears I've got some more reading to do before I make a choice

Back