Which hops to use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's kinda like asking what condiments we think that you will like on a hotdog. It's really up to what you like or can get... Think of a few examples of a commercial beer you like, and find some common hops between them. CTZ aka columbus is very popular, most of the varieties that start with a "C". I like a lot of different hops that I've tried, there are so many to choose from. Some hops are for bittering, and others for flavor/aroma.

Do you have any favorite commercial beers you're using as inspiration for this batch? Brewery websites often list hop varietals, and if it's a relatively popular brew, you might even be able to find clone recipes, which should point you in the direction of some good hop choices that work in similar beers, even if you're not looking to make an exact clone.

depends.. do you want an American amber, or Brittish Amber, or what.... myself, I'd probably use cascades. or maybe a cascade and another variety combo, but that's just me....

Back