BBQ Temp Probe Thru Kettle Wall?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikesnbeers

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I use a BBQ remote thermometer for brewing and it's one of my favorite homebrew gadgets. Its got an audible alarm for temps and timing. What I'm wondering is... Does anyone have advice on how to put it through a kettle wall? The diameter of the probe is a hair over 1/8". I'd rather not use a thermowell, and it would need to be easily removable. I'm picturing a swaglok fitting with o-rings.? Maybe this?: http://www.swagelok.com/search/find...1-8&item=20b6dcb5-5a04-42f1-9df7-a5d3fd3672c3 Thanks!

As mentioned, it might be tough to get a watertight connection without slightly deforming the probe.

Any particular reason you're against a thermowell? I have cheap DIY thermowells that are a nice snug fit for my BBQ thermometers.

Thanks. I'm picturing a non permanent install like this one: http://www.bargainfittings.com/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=13. I think that might avoid the deformation.

I'm trying to avoid a thermowell because it's possible that I'll also be using a probe threaded into a T where liquid will be flowing past it. The OD of the thermowells that I've seen are not much smaller than the inside of the 1/2" T and tube that I already have. I'm trying to avoid a flow restriction as much as possible. I currently use a dial thermometer in this configuration.

I've been kicking this idea around in my head, and maybe this will work for you:

I've been looking at my blichmann dial thermometer. The mechanism that is uses to seal is just a 1/2" NPT threading around the probe. You could take a stainless 1/2 bolt and cut off the threaded portion. Then drill out a hole down the center such that the probe can be threaded through. Finally, just fill any gaps with silver solder.

Then you could install it just like a weldless dial thermometer using a SS nut.

I'm going to try doing this with a cheap walmart thermometer so I can have a digital reading on my keggle mash tun. (unless someone chimes in to tell me this is a bad idea.)

thermo.jpg

With the right size o-rings it will work. Its exactly the same thing I do with my 1/4" probes only 1/8". Take out the ss ferrules and throw in a couple o-rings, it doesn't take much to get a good seal. When looking for o-rings try and source some just under 1/8" ID so they fit tight over the probe, and use two of them. Possibly 1/16" ID o-rings would work.

Orings and more is a great source for silicone o-rings of just about any size. Not sure about sources for swagelock fittings that small. If you don't mind brass you can drill out a compression to MPT fitting from the local hardware store. That's how I attached all of my DIY thermowells, including the in line ones.

Edit: Linky-

http://www.oringsandmore.com/servlet/StoreFront

Looks like maybe a couple of #5's might work for you. Or maybe something thicker like a #103 would be better.

Latest posts

Back