need some help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Recently a friend and I started brewing. Our first beer turned out to be absolutely amazing. Our second two not so well. Our second beer was supposed to be a blueberry blonde for the summer. We never had time and let it sit in secondary fermentation for over 2 months. didnt taste it before bottling and when we did crack the first bottle there was no flavor or body. our third beer was supposed to be a belgium amber. we followed a strict schedule and bottled it within a month after primary fermantation. however when we cracked our first bottle there was no fizz or cracking of a fresh beer sound. what do we do? for our most two recent beers we have used sugar pellets over priming sugar. is that the problem?

For the blueberry blonde, I can kinda understand that. I think that flavor tends to fade fairly quickly. Leaving it in the secondary that long will probably let any residual yeast scrub the flavor right out.

For the belgium amber, what was your OG, fermentation time, and how long/at what temp was it bottle conditioned? My guess, of the top of my head, is that it wasn't stored long enough at room temperature and hasn't carbed up yet. Quick and dirty advice: wait a little longer.

It probably wasnt the sugar. More likely the yeast. It might have been bad. Was the yeast properly refridgerated? And were you checking the specific gravity?

Probably should stick to "easy" brews until you have the process down pat. But then we al "screw" up from time to time. I've had to dump 3 brews in less than a year due to infections.

If anything,I've found the Cooper's carb drops tend to over-carbonate by week 7. So it's def not that. Maybe not enough yeast,or it settled out too much...something to that effect. What were the temps for fermentation & bottle conditioning? And for how long?

Back