Pick my next batch...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cweston

Reaction score
I need to brew something relatively quick-maturing for spring drinking.

I'm planning to do a saison, but it's been unseasonably cold and I need to wait a little longer for temps to warm up in the house.

I have an IPA that is still a little green, and a stout that needs a few more weeks, plus about a case of Dude's Pub Ale and less than a case of Munich Dunkel.

Any suggestions for a relatively quick-maturing ale for spring drinking will be appreciated.

uwmgdman said:
Lower OG Rye Pale Ale?

That's an intriguing suggestion--I've been thinking about experimenting with rye. I don't think I've ever had a rye beer, but the idea of a spicy flavor element sounds good to me.

I have a Rye Pale Ale in my primary that I brewed this Saturday (PM). It should end up around 5.1% ABV. I can let you know how it turns out if you'd like.

Rye is really nice, imo. I have used it in several things. Watch out though, the flavor seems to really come through even when using a few ounces.

I'm doing a rye red--I just ordered the ingrediants I need this morning.

It's going to be a hoppy red ale, w/ about 25% of the grainbill rye (10% rye malt, 15% flaked rye), some munich, crystal 120, and a couple ounces of special B that I had on hand.

cweston said:
I'm doing a rye red--I just ordered the ingrediants I need this morning.

It's going to be a hoppy red ale, w/ about 25% of the grainbill rye (10% rye malt, 15% flaked rye), some munich, crystal 120, and a couple ounces of special B that I had on hand.

Please post how that turns out.........it sounds very good, so good that I want to leave work and drink beer.

Back