What To Clean It With

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xiren

Reaction score
I used some tax return money and was able to get me a Blichmann pot. Since this was an investment, I want to take care of this pot with kid gloves. What do others use to clean the inside bottom of their Blichmann pots?

I used to use a green pad on my old pot, but I think that is too harsh.

Thank you in advance.

Never had a Blichmann, but I have found hot water w/ a touch of oxiclean to work well post brewing. Occasionally some bar keepers friend on the inside / outside will polish it up like new! Mainly the inside might retain some brownish residue....beerstone I believe. It seems to build after a few batches...BKF works wonders.

Stainless, right? It should be as easy as rinsing off with hot water and a rag if you clean in soon after use. If you really want to clean it use some OxyClean and a rag. There should be much of a need for really scrubbing it with a pad...but that's from my experience with Aluminum. BTW, if it is aluminum, dont use OxyClean.

I use Barkeepers friend after every use. I use a propane gas burner, and have no problems getting anything off the pot.

HOLY CRAP!
Thank you everyone for responding. Guess I need to take a trip to the store.

My old pot I would clean it with wash cloth and dish soap, but I started to notice a brown buildup, beerstone from what wilserbrewer says. I used a green pad, on that one, but... BKF will be the cleaner of choise.

Thanks again everyone. :mug:

Stainless is popular because it is easy! I have been using Sun a knockoff Walmart brand oxyclean which works very well. no scrubbing! have also used diswasher detergent, and the Farm fleet branded milkhouse cleaners for dairy farms... that stuff really melts away the crap! though its use requires some respect and understanding of chemicals.

Biggest thing i would recommend is to wipe it off after you clean it.. stainless will corrode, especially after strong chemicals without an acid wash at the end. wipe it dry or air dry upside down and your kids kids kids will be brewing long after your are gone.

OK, sure I have a bias but am amazed no one else on THIS forum went here. Other posts here list these options too so we would reco PBW, rinse, Star San (or Saniclean). Many of the items here do not have chelators so might be great in your laundry but will not address mineral soiling issues, such as the beerstone you mention.

PBW has several chelators chosen specifically for mineral soils from brewing and Star San or Saniclean will leave your pot in an acid state, allowing it to naturally 'heal' its passivation and never corroding. Actually, stainless, by definition, cannot corrode, but steal can. Stainless steel can loose its 'stainless'-ness which is why it corrodes. Choosing an acid sanitizer is the easiest way for a homebrewer to help his Stainless stay Stainless without using the nitric/phos acid routines the pros use on their sizable set-ups. :rockin:

Back