Too long in the primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warrior

Reaction score
I got lazy with my last special bitter I brewed. Left it in the primary for 4 weeks at around 68 deg. Racked it last night and it went from a 1.047 to a 1.007 gravity. That was a partial mash with the mash temp at 155 deg. It usually finishes out at about 1.013. Oh well this bitter will be a little drier than normal.

One of the best beers I ever made was an Oatmeal Stout that I left in primary for 45 days. Its not over 'til its over...

time, unless way too short, has nothing to do with attenuation. In other words longer time on the yeast will not get a better attenuation if it's not going to do it in the first place.

I leave almost all my beers in Primary for a month...Since I started doing that, my beers have been better than they ever had been when I secondaried...The yeasties like to clean up after their party if you let them...

Oh geez, this is another of those bumped "unanswered threads" isn't it?

that seems a little dry for a bitter, but i'm sure it will be tasty. i prefer dry beers anyway, even if it's not technically to style for everything.

as stated above, this is probably due to other factors...you didn't mash high enough, you used yeast that was too attenuative for style, etc.

Back