I just thought of something clever...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopdoc

Reaction score
You are gonna love this!
I am sure we all worry sometimes about beer not carbonating in the bottle, especially the ones with higher alcohol content. So, I figured why not just bottle one or two of my brews in plastic bottles, ones that would hold carbonation of course. Then, a couple/few weeks into carbonating, just give the bottle a squeeze, you should be able to tell if the beer is flat or carbonated. I hate wasting a bottle of beer by opening it, hoping for some carbonation, just to find it still flat.
Don't know if anyone else has had this idea, but I just about smurfed in my pants when I thought of it.
Cheers!

It's definitely been done. You get a vague idea of where you're at with carbonation, but it's far from an exact science. If it works for you, rock it out! :rockin:

It does work well and is SOP. I use mostly amber 16s. FWIW I reuse the caps with very good results.

Use soda bottles or other bottles made for pressure. Don't use water bottle. This is the popular wisdom anyway.

You are gonna love this!
I am sure we all worry sometimes about beer not carbonating in the bottle, especially the ones with higher alcohol content. So, I figured why not just bottle one or two of my brews in plastic bottles, ones that would hold carbonation of course. Then, a couple/few weeks into carbonating, just give the bottle a squeeze, you should be able to tell if the beer is flat or carbonated. I hate wasting a bottle of beer by opening it, hoping for some carbonation, just to find it still flat.
Don't know if anyone else has had this idea, but I just about smurfed in my pants when I thought of it.
Cheers!

see: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/pressure-gauge-mounted-bottle-cap-268151/

!bottle.JPG

IMG_4279.JPG
filling carboy with no hands from the sink. Rubber bands around spray hose and a clamp and towel to balance

idk if anyone else has tried yet but for a blowoff tube i use 1/2 inch id silicon tube on one of the three piece air locks works like a charm

Well, it is something clever.

Hell i've posted a few posts about my 'clever' 200ohm resistor mod on my oven to make it a malt kiln...lol

but like rodney dangerfield...."I get no respect!" :)

i've only been here a few months though, maybe i'll be resurrected from the dead in 5-10 years?

It is a neat idea! I wonder if I put flat beer in a PET bottle and applied sufficient clamping, could I force-carb it?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back