Leaky airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iowabrewgirl

Reaction score
Hi- I pitched my yeast just about 18 hours ago and can't seem to keep the airlock filed at the fill line. It keeps dripping back into the carboy. Not seeing any foam in the carboy either yet. I'm probably just paranoid but wanted to check anyway.

Thanks!

The wort is probably cooling down, since you pitched, so the pressure differential is pulling the water from your airlock into your brew. As long as you've got a starsan solution, or vodka, in the airlock you won't have anything to worry about.

I have reverse osmosis water in the airlock...no vodka. Could add gin.

Use the gin. Plain water won't stop bacteria.

Rick

p.s. I used gin on my first batch because I didn't have any vodka on hand and had yet to rig a blow off tube. ;)

Cool. Should I keep adding gin even if the pressure hasn't balanced out yet and it keeps dripping? Or let the airlock stay less full and add more after the pressure balances out and it stops dripping?

Cool. Should I keep adding gin even if the pressure hasn't balanced out yet and it keeps dripping? Or let the airlock stay less full and add more after the pressure balances out and it stops dripping?

A stitch in time saves nine:tank:

The gin will be better than water and, I'd imagine you won't have any problems but, swapping out the water for the gin now will put you in a better situation.

I would think that the negative pressure from cooling would stop quite soon. If nothing else put a sanitized piece of saran wrap over the hole till it starts to ferment.

Good luck.

Rick

I would star san the bung area well.. pull the airlock and cover the bung with saran wrap.. Then put the airlock on the counter after drying the stopper... add some water, vodka or whatever and see if it is the airlock that's leaking or not. I seriously doubt it's the airlock.. but, it's an easy check. If it is.. chuck it.. if not.. re starsan everything and replace it back on the carboy/bucket.

Thanks! I switched to gin. It stopped dripping. No movement in the airlock but a bit of foam on top now. If nothing in another day or so I can pitch some more yeast...

That foam on top is the beginnings of your krausen, which means the yeast are starting to take off after the initial lag phase. The krausen will get thicker and more active over the next couple to few days. If you've got gin in your airlock you'll be fine but, if you're using a carboy, it'd probably be advisable to rig up a blow off tube going into a container with gin, or even better starsan and water solution, just in case the fermentation gets a bit violent.

Back