Dual-mode chestfreezer kegerator (for food and kegging temps)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nabattag79

Reaction score
I have a large chest freezer already, and could consolidate my food into one half. Sooo, has anyone done this or have comments? You would need an insulating barrier between the two halves obviously. The biggest unknown to me though is the heat flow out of the inner walls, is this uniformally distributed along the walls and floor so that I would need added insulation in the keg half? Has anyone torn a freezer down that can comment on how destructive this process might be, as I thought I might be able to go in and reroute/shutoff some of the working fluid lines to get the dual temperature effect without insulating everything. Not a deal breaker but I would like that process to be reversable. I have not done any exploratory disassembly yet but will this weekend if people think this is feasible.

Thanks!

The only way this would work is with an insulated box in an area that does not touch any side of the freezer and a heater inside to warm it to fermentation temps. You cannot separate a chest freezer into sections like a refrigerator.

Back