Making a fermentation chamber out of kitchen cabinet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jondavis08

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been looking at all the fermentation chambers post all week and starting to get excited about making my own. Do to a recent remodel I have the cabinet pictured below(does have a counter top) Could this build be as simple as cutting out a opening on the side for a mini fridge/AC window unit, adding insulated foam to the inside and then at temp control unit? Would you suggest a AC unit or Mini fridge?

Untitled.jpg

yes it would be that easy.

Whichever you can find cheaper, and think would be easier to use. The window unit would probably be a little bit of overkill on that, but a mini-fridge might struggle with the size.

Will this be kept in an air-conditioned space inside the house, or out in a garage/shed where it will see larger temperature extremes? that can make a big difference in what you would need to use.

In that case, if you can find a minifridge cheap, I'd go with that. If you can, find one with the condenser coils mounted on the back, rather than in the walls of the fridge. It will make removing them and mounting it on the side/back of the cabinet MUCH easier. I can usually find the right kind of minifridge on CL for less than $50. Also, I would go for the 3-4cuft range dorm fridge, rather than the little cube (1-2cuft) mini fridge if you can find one. It will have less trouble with that large of a space.

I would line it with blue board insulation, seal all joints with caulk, and use a mini fridges guts. That would make a killer ferm chamber for sure. I would enclose all of the sides and make an insulated removable top so I could just lower a keg in or out from the top. But thats just me.... I have to watch my pennies and a repurposed cabinet and a used fridge guts come a lot cheaper than buying new stuff and installing it later. Depending on how large you want the cabinet a small mini fridge will probably struggle once you get much bigger than a bathroom sink sized cabinet, but a small fan on the evaporator will help it move air across the coils and remove excess heat.
Bob

You could always insulate it tightly, and go with a TEC unit. Get one that has about 30-50 W of cooling capability, and it's all you'll need to stay in the 50's F. The plus note is that they are low power. Check out custom TEC solutions for premade cooling units (not related to me in any way).

Getting dangerously close to proceeding but had a few more questions. I plan on getting a the STC-1000 for temp control, is the probe inside the chamber or wort? Should you be monitoring the wort temp or do most just crank the temp down a few notches during the first few days of fermenting. I think I'm going to use the guts of a mini fridge, I've seen many builds but haven't found a great step by step example on the site. Anyone seeing something I missed?

Plan is to convert the above cabinet, insulate with foam board,seal the front and make a top door for inserting carboys. Temp control with STC-100 using a mini fridge and probably a ferm wrap.

Best results with the STC-1000 is to make a small pouch and attatch it to the outside of the fermenting container. Normally wort temp will rise while the initial fermentation takes place, so be prepared to lower the initial temp in the box till the strong fermentation subsides, then you can readjust your temp again. The temp rise will be more difficult to detect if you just leave the sensor loose in the cabinet and the reaction by the STC will be slower and less definative.
Bob

I am currently building a fermentation cabinet from scratch, and using the guts of a mini-fridge for the cooling portion. I am using an STC-1000 controller, and will either be taping the temp probe to the side of a carboy, or purchasing/making a thermowell to put down inside of the most recent fermentation that I put in the chamber.

I am using a dual front door approach on mine. It will basically look like a kitchen cabinet, or piece of furniture, with two equal size front doors and a solid top. The coils of the mini-fridge will be attached to one side of the chamber, with the compressor sitting on a custom shelf at the bottom.

I used 3.5" of rigid foam insulation on the top and bottom, 2" on the back and sides, and I've got 2.5" on the back of each of the doors. I also added rubber door weatherstripping around edges of the insulation, so that when the doors are closed, the stripping is compressed and creates an airtight seal. All corners are caulked and tape with aluminum HVAC tape.

I am using either 1 or 2 heavy duty computer fans to circulate air past the cooling coil inside the chamber when the compressor is running. I don't foresee needing a heat source, but if I do I will probably use a ceramic heat bulb (like you would use for reptiles).

I don't think there's any reason you can't keep it front loading, rather than top loading. It just takes a little more diligence in insulating and sealing it. If you want it to be easier, then seal the front and make it top loading.

I haven't started a thread or posted photo's of my build yet, as I want to wait until its completely finished and running, but I could add a photo or two here if you would like to see how I did certain things. Just let me know.

I'd love to see pics, looks like we're doing a similar approach. The only reason I'm going for a top loader is because the original door opening is to short to fit a carboy. Figured it'd be easier to cut out the drawer divider and seal up the front. I'm not 100% sold on that idea yet.

I'd love to see pics, looks like we're doing a similar approach. The only reason I'm going for a top loader is because the original door opening is to short to fit a carboy. Figured it'd be easier to cut out the drawer divider and seal up the front. I'm not 100% sold on that idea yet.

Ah. I built mine from scratch from 2x4's, 1/8" plywood walls, and a piece of 3/4" plywood for the top.

If your door opening won't fit a carboy (with or without an airlock?), then it may be better to make it top-opening so you don't have to tip your carboys over.

I will try to post some pics up for you tonight.

KBentley57 said:
You could always insulate it tightly, and go with a TEC unit. Get one that has about 30-50 W of cooling capability, and it's all you'll need to stay in the 50's F. The plus note is that they are low power. Check out custom TEC solutions for premade cooling units (not related to me in any way).

I'm intrigued by this recommendation. Any guidance on specs, configuration, sourcing? Would like to look into this in more detail.

Its not done yet, but will be soon if I can get any time to work on it the rest of this week/weekend.

Dimensions are 4 feet long, 2 feet deep, and 3 feet tall (outside dimensions).

011.jpg

018.JPG

001.JPG

002.JPG

025.JPG

Mr. Idiot, that's a fine piece of equipment.

Thanks! I've got about $200 in it so far (although that includes $100 for buying TWO additional mini-fridges after the first -free- one sprang a coolant leak).

It actually looks a lot nicer in person than that hasty photo suggests. Its a very nice rubbed cherry stain. I've taken on the mind set lately that if I'm going to build something, it might as well be furniture quality, and something I won't mind having in the house.

In fact, I had planned on having it live in the laundry room (where most fermenting/cleaning/bottling activities take place) but SWMBO likes it so much she suggest I move it into the house somewhere... :rockin:

If I manage to get it finished anytime soon, I will definitely be posting up a complete build thread. So keep your eye out ;).

Looking good! After messing around with my cabinet yesterday I think I'm going to make it a front loader. All I have to do is slightly tilt the carboy to fit past the door opening and then it'll set in there fine. Took off the drawer front for the top part and think I can maybe mount the temp control right to it. Are you adding the mini fridge on the side and just taking the door off or are you going to gut the fridge?

Are you adding the mini fridge on the side and just taking the door off or are you going to gut the fridge?

I have gutted the mini-fridge. I got one with the coils on the back, rather than embedded in the walls.

This way, I just have to mount the coils on the side panel of the chamber, the compressor on that little ledge at the bottom, and the cooling coil goes through the side into the chamber. Takes up much less space than keeping the body of the fridge and attaching a chamber to it.

When I get home tonight, I'll post up a couple pics of that as well. I haven't completely removed the coils/compressor from the mini-fridge, but all I have to do is undo a few screws and it will be free.

Its amazing what a sawzall with a metal cutting blade can do to a mini-fridge...

I have gutted the mini-fridge. I got one with the coils on the back, rather than embedded in the walls....

Do you remember the make of the one you have with the coils on the exterior? I can't remember if mine are internal or external. I may have to spring for a new mini fridge if mine is the wrong style. I was thinking if I ran into that issue I would just buy a used full sized fridge and use it as is. There are a few used dealers who have fridges and other appliances really cheap. Most of em are repaired haul offs from other major retailers like sears or the big box hardware chains. Hmmmmm, got me thinkin now. I like the wood cabinet idea a lot, especially the usable furniture aspect so I may have to modify my plans yet again.... Darn now I am confused again.
Wheelchair Bob

Do you remember the make of the one you have with the coils on the exterior? I can't remember if mine are internal or external. I may have to spring for a new mini fridge if mine is the wrong style. I was thinking if I ran into that issue I would just buy a used full sized fridge and use it as is. There are a few used dealers who have fridges and other appliances really cheap. Most of em are repaired haul offs from other major retailers like sears or the big box hardware chains. Hmmmmm, got me thinkin now. I like the wood cabinet idea a lot, especially the usable furniture aspect so I may have to modify my plans yet again.... Darn now I am confused again.
Wheelchair Bob

Sorry :p

I don't remember the make off the top of my head. I will check when I get home. I had bought another mini-fridge off craigslist, where I had pointedly asked if it had the coils on the back, and was told yes. When I got there, there were no coils on the back. The compressor was, and that's what they thought I was talking about :mad:. I ended up buying it anyways. Hopefully I can make a lager chamber out of it or maybe a small kegerator.

CL is a great place to find them. You generally have to look for the older ones. And make sure to ask to see a picture of the back of the fridge, so you can tell if the coils are external, or embedded in the sides.

You can use a fridge where the coils are embedded in the sides, its just a lot more labor intensive to remove them, and won't look as nice mounted on a cabinet.

Apparently my mini-fridge is an old GE ~4cu.ft. It was manufactured right here in Louisville in October, 1992. So this little mini-fridge is 20 years old next week, and still runs good and cold!

Back