Fermentation Temperatures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silverbullet07

Reaction score
I am brewing a Dunkelweizen with the Wyeast 3068 with a Temperature Range: 64-75° F

I pitched the yeast Sunday after chilling down to 66F. It started activity within 12 hours and has been doing well.

I've been keeping in my fermenting cool brew chamber @ 64F and was wondering after the Attenuative Phase do I continue to keep the chamber @64F all the way through the Conditioning Phase?

silverbullet07 said:
I am brewing a Dunkelweizen with the Wyeast 3068 with a Temperature Range: 64-75° F

I pitched the yeast Sunday after chilling down to 66F. It started activity within 12 hours and has been doing well.

I've been keeping in my fermenting cool brew chamber @ 64F and was wondering after the Attenuative Phase do I continue to keep the chamber @64F all the way through the Conditioning Phase?

Once active fermentation has almost completed I would raise to 68-70 for that style an let it finish

duboman said:
Once active fermentation has almost completed I would raise to 68-70 for that style an let it finish

Would the active fermentation be about a week or two for this style?

silverbullet07 said:
Would the active fermentation be about a week or two for this style?

I would say 4-7 days, when you see the airlock activity or blow off bubbling slow way down, take a reading an see how close you are to FG and if you are within a few points its time.

Last night when I got home I checked the temperture and noticed the it had dropped to 62F. I had the same amount of ice in the chamber since sunday and it has been staying 64F for last two days. I guess the beer is not producing heat like it was and it is able to now get the chamber colder. I removed most of the ice over the night but this morning it was still 62F. So this morning I went and removed all of the ice hoping it warms back up a little. It usually stays 68F - 70F in the basement so will check where it is tonight when I get back home.

Back