Peppers Vs Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DisturbdChemist

I'm drunk 60% of the time, all the time!
Reaction score
Does adding peppers to your brew affect the yeast? I want to add jalpenos to a brew. I'm thinking of adding it while it ferments or should I just add them to the secondary and let it sit for a little while. I plan on removing the seeds and just have the fresh walls to it. It's an experimental batch and I'm not looking for heat just flavor and aroma.

If i was doing this I would add them to the secondary, wouldn't want the fermentatin to scrub out any of the flavor/aroma you're getting from the peppers. I would also go with a poblano pepper if you weren't going for heat. I have used them in cooking and jams when I wan't flavor but no heat. Good luck!

A little heat won't be bad lol. It's only going to be a gal batch and want to do something different this time. I heard breweries add them in the boil and then secondary. I haven't decided yet but secondary is a go. Thanks for your input.

When I get back from this trip (24 days to go) im brewing a chipotle blonde. Im adding 3 chipotles to the boil at 5 minutes and then 4 to the secondary. Good luck with your brew!

Latest posts

Back