Fermintation temps.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flexfit115

Reaction score
It seems to me that every time I brew the thermometers on my bucket seem to say that my brew is 4 or so degrees higher than ambient temp in my house. Does fermentation cause temp to rise in the bucket or are the thermometers wrong? Or maybe I'm crazy?

You're not crazy and the thermometers are not wrong (at least not relatively so). Fermentation is an exothermic process so you can expect your beer will be 5-10 degrees F higher than ambient.

So do I try to cool it back to the proper temp per my yeast instructions, or is the calculated in the the yeast instructions?

So do I try to cool it back to the proper temp per my yeast instructions, or is the calculated in the the yeast instructions?

Most of the time it is the fermentation temperature that is listed, so you should cool it down. For example, if I want a fermentation temp of 68°F, my ambient needs to be 60-62°F.

What are you making, what yeast are you using, and what is your ambient temp?

That's what I thought, but brewing a Belgian Dubble, and wlp550 which is good up to 78 degrees according to their website. But I'm at about 77 degrees and ambient is 73 in my house. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back