Guilty pleasures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aabrewer

Reaction score
I kind wanted to conduct a little home brewers social experiment. All of us know exactly which craft beers we like and have memorized our favorite style, but I wanted to see what yall's guilty pleasures are. As for me, inbetween my spiced ales and double IPAs I like to indulge in a coors light every now and then. What about y'all.

My LHBS has a sign hanging up that reads "shoplifters will be forced to drink coors light"

PBR, Genessee, Yungling, Miller Lite.....I have no issues indulging in any of these if they are the bar special!

I love Stroh's. I prefer it in bottles. It has always been my go to beer. In college, at a local bar, I could get bottles for roughly $1.50. I miss da U.P.

The High Life, Miller Lite, and Corona...These are the beers I drink when I'm at a picnic and plan on drinking 54 beers for the day/night.

The only BMC product I'll purchase these days (and I only buy one every few months or so) is the Bud Light Chelada. The one with Clamato in it. There's just something about it that really hits the spot for me, especially on a hot day. Everyone else I know thinks it's completely disgusting.

ktblunden said:
The only BMC product I'll purchase these days (and I only buy one every few months or so) is the Bud Light Chelada.

I have never seen nor heard of that. How long has that been around?

The only BMC beer I buy these days is Blue Moon (regardless of where the bottle says it's coming from, it made by Coors). I may have a Corona here and there, but it's pretty rare these days. Usually only when I'm at a restaurant and it's either BMC or Corona.

There are a fair number of "craft" beers that are owned by BMC, including a couple of my favorites Blue Moon and Shocktop, and also Hoegaarden (not bad, not my fave though). Being owned by a macro doesn't automatically make them bad. I think beer snobbery has gone too far when a breweries ownership *alone* makes one pass up a quality beer by assuming its the same as the main brands.

Aside from that rant, my favorite session beer of the last few years has been Yuengling lager. Crisp and refreshing, with a backbone that knows what it is. Respectable, and reasonably priced to boot.

Yuengling. Didn't like the first time I tried it, but now I do and you can't beat the price. I agree about the snobbery going a bit too far. I like blue moon with an orange slice. Good stuff.

I wouldnt say the yuengling is a guilty pleasure, while it may not be my favorite beer its a decent beer, its not brewed by ABinbev, and its american owned.
That being said, I love corona and a lime or bud light lime on a hot day. Its usually my goto 4th of july or cinco de mayo drink

wSelwyn said:
I have never seen nor heard of that. How long has that been around?

Several years at this point. It only comes individually in large cans (at least, that's the only way I've ever seen it).

Raenon said:
There are a fair number of "craft" beers that are owned by BMC, including a couple of my favorites Blue Moon and Shocktop, and also Hoegaarden (not bad, not my fave though). Being owned by a macro doesn't automatically make them bad. I think beer snobbery has gone too far when a breweries ownership *alone* makes one pass up a quality beer by assuming its the same as the main brands.

Aside from that rant, my favorite session beer of the last few years has been Yuengling lager. Crisp and refreshing, with a backbone that knows what it is. Respectable, and reasonably priced to boot.

I'm honestly not much of a fan of most BMC products, including the "craft" type stuff like Blue Moon. I'll drink it if someone offers me one but I don't seek it out. Actually, I was looking at AB's website the other day and I was surprised at some of their properties. I couldn't say I'm a fan of any of them though.

Around here pretty much the only "craft" beers available at the bars are blue moon or Sam Adams, so I drink those quite often. I'm also not afraid to admit to drinking pbr or Coors light. It's damn refreshing.

ktblunden said:
I'm honestly not much of a fan of most BMC products, including the "craft" type stuff like Blue Moon. I'll drink it if someone offers me one but I don't seek it out. Actually, I was looking at AB's website the other day and I was surprised at some of their properties. I couldn't say I'm a fan of any of them though.

See, that's far more honest. If you don't like it, you are of course welcome to your opinion- there are certainly enough beers that I don't care for. But you didn't determine ahead of time that it was crap (and ignored any tastes to the contrary) just because its owned by a multinational.
Hell, Guinness/Harps and all their properties are pretty huge too, and you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who says that they are *all* crap.

Grainbelt! Especially Nordeast. I had 6 of the course of 4 hours and barely felt like I had been drinking beer. I love when the local liquor stores run it for 9.99/12 pk.

ktblunden said:
The only BMC product I'll purchase these days (and I only buy one every few months or so) is the Bud Light Chelada. The one with Clamato in it. There's just something about it that really hits the spot for me, especially on a hot day. Everyone else I know thinks it's completely disgusting.

I can't go for the Chelada style beers, my friend gave me a red beer one time and I could hardly take the sip I took. If you go to Mexico and get a Michelada style beer its basically a dollop of salsa at the bottom of the beer. Almost looks like what your stomach regurgitates after a bender.

I love Stroh's. I prefer it in bottles. It has always been my go to beer. In college, at a local bar, I could get bottles for roughly $1.50. I miss da U.P.

My boss drinks Stroh's and one time when trying to order one the waitress looked at him and asked "Do they still make that?" It was classic.

I like fosters , yes I like fosters. Better than most BMC beers in my opinion. At least it has flavor. And its from Canada , not fermented in a kangaroos pouch like most believe.

i have done an experiment on dart league night. PBR>Pyramid>Sam Adams. Not sure why but I shoot better drinking PBR.

When I lived in Az, my neighbour got me onto Blue Moon, yummy on a hot day, watch'n the kids in the pool. But now I back 'home' , Canada, "Saying this with many tears",lol. I'll bomb back a few J.R Readies, good and cheap.
Then again I'm a prick at parties and throw in a couple of Labatt 50's in the bottom of the cooler, lol,.
All you Canuck's know this one,. They have green labels, nothing funnier than watching a drunk brother, father, relative. Fumble around the bottom of the cooler and pull a brown bottle wothout a label on it. Having a huge hall on it and gag a bit b/c it was a bottle of 50.
Ahhhhh! good time's
H

I don't really have any "guilty pleasure" beers. Occasionally my wife picks up any given alcopop (Mike's Hard something, Bartles and Jaymes, whatever) and I've been known to enjoy one or two.

If I go that route, I like the national brews from different places around the globe. Carib or Kalik, or if I feel like going even lighter Imperial.

And occasionally I'll get the 30-pack of Genesee. I guess that's about rock bottom.

I don't feel guilty about it but here are a few beers I enjoy that beer snobs (and TheBeerist) will give you hell about.

PBR at parties and when you want something cheap.

Miller High Life with a lime stuffed into the bottle when I'm feeling like being back in the islands.

Michelob lager. Because it's just a good beer.

Sapporo with sushi or pretty much any meal.

I'm not sure who pissed in TheBeerist's Kool-Aid. Sorry, buddy; it appears someone has hit one of your hot buttons.

I also have no small experience in the craft brewing industry. I can say that while he's somewhat right, he's also somewhat wrong. "Hard if not impossible"? Please.

Anyway, there's no reason to feel guilt enjoying something that doesn't send beer snobs over the moon. There's times I just don't want to be challenged by my beverage; I just want a farking beer. Hell, last week I downed a quart bottle of Yuengling Premium after mowing the lawn. ;) When I buy beer, I usually buy Grolsch swing-tops so I can re-use the bottles! :) Hell, that's what I'm drinking right this second. I actually like the stuff.

Bob

Keystone Light... aka "a Stone." Plus the Keith Stone commercials are awesome. My go to beer on the golf course, fishing, etc. It's light enough that it gives me a sense of hydration. Not to mention I can drink half a 30 pack through out the day and still function in the evening.

Corona with Lime. Usually reserved for the beach, but I can drink one or two if its warm out.

Wouldn't call them guilty pleasures, but Yuengling, Miller Lite, PBR, Bud Light and High Life will do if they're on special at the bar.

Back