Which Keg Should I Use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ckwatkins

Reaction score
Over the past couple months I've been able to score some kegs at my local scrap yard. I have two straight sided kegs in excellent condition and a bulge sided keg that has a few dings but is in pretty good shape. My question is, which vessel should I turn the bulge sided keg into? HLT, MT, or BK? I plan on building a single tier system, so I guess the MT would have some symetry with the straight sided kegs on either side, but I'm not sure which way to go. I want to plan this out because I'll be buying the parts in the next couple of days.

I think I would use the bulging keg as the mash tun. The reason is that I would want sight glasses on the HLT and the boil kettle. The straight sided legs would accommodate. Also I would not want one on the mash tun.

I would use the bulging keg as the HLT, then first chance you have to get a straight sided keg, I would replace it and get rid of that homely bulging thing. They are the "fat chicks" of the keggle population.

All kidding aside, it likely doesn't matter...and thanks for letting me vent, not really sure why I don't like em?

I can only seem to get the coors buldged out kegs, i hope i dont have any issues with sight gauges either.

Dumb question....do the bulge sided kegs hold the same amount of liquid as the straight sided ones?

Besides a sight glass, are there any issues when installing ball valves or any other hardware in a bulge sided keg?

I just set up a bulge sided keg as an HLT over the weekend.

No significant problems, except that mine was a little dinged up so I had to space the valve and thermometer/sightglass further apart than I would have liked. Also, as long as you're using one of the poly-based sight glasses you can get from Bobby or from bargainfittings.com, they easily flex to conform to the bulge. No problems there at all.

Back