I'm tired of homebrew farts.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Homebrew farts are dealt with through...tolerence. The tolerence you develop to homebrewed ales. And the tolerence those around you develop to your "earthy" aroma.

No, the problem is the unfermentable sugars and they won't filter out. I'd recommend a two prong approach: First, take Beano before drinking homebrew. That will breakdown the sugars into digestible forms so the 'bad' gut-bacteria can't turn them into methane. Second, add an acidophilus culture to your diet, be it in tablet form or live yogurt. Eventually, your GI will adjust.

Drink a lot..... eventually your system will get used to it.

The other thing about drinking a lot is then you don't care if you fart..

win win situation.

Get a big dog like suggested above.

My dog dutch ovens swmbo constantly.

Is this something that's specific to extract brewing? I haven't had the pleasure yet of homebrew farts, but I started with all grain.

I've never had the homebrew fart problem, even when I started drinking beer and I bottle so I'm definitely downing the fellers. Maybe I don't drink enough or eat too healthy...

I had the beer farts when I first started the hobby. Like someone mentioned above your body gets used to the "homebrew diet" , and eventually the problem just goes away. Every now and then if I drink a lot of stout and/or porter it revisits for a day! :eek:

Isn't it better if you decant and leave the yeast in the bottle? I don't usually have this problem and I thought that's why. Or does yeast equal diarrhea?

Man, I wish I could blame my farting on homebrew. But hey--now I can :-D

I am a born dirt-ass, like my father before me...some things are just the way it is.

I typically don't get homebrew farts unless I drink a LOT of them. As someone else also mentioned, I also notice it a bit more if I don't decant the yeast when I'm pouring.

its not just the yeast and the simple sugars, you are also taking in alot of co2, and only beltch out some of it (or nothing im my case, after a Nissanfunduplication operation), guess where the rest goes?

My wife has ZERO sense of smell and I must admit that this is a quality I truly appreciate. :ban:

My girl has a crazy good sense of smell. Awful combo for me. I'm a homebrew drinking gaseous planet with a litter box for the cat in my closet. Needless to say, I am envious of your situation sir.

I had some terrible gas for the first week or two, but nothing abnormal since. I guess my system adjusted.

I've posted this before, but, true story: the first time I drank a 6 pack of a (commercial) unfiltered wheat beer, along with all the yeast...a day or so later I had the most amazing gas, and I literally gave my friend's wife an asthma attack!

My gut seems to have adjusted to the homebrew over time, but not to spicy and fermented foods (kimchi). My fiancée is a trooper.

I had always heard the greener the beer the worse the issue is. Maybe too much yeast in suspension?

The greener beers have alot of dyacetyl that still needs to be converted I could see the dyacetyl loosing some methane gas In some crazy complex reaction

I was just chatting with my husband about this thread- and both of us are surprised because it's NEVER happened to us. Not just because women don't fart, as we know, but because it never happened to Bob either. :D

I wonder if it's a diet/tolerance issue more than anything. We've always eaten healthy with lots of veggies, and things like broccoli or brussel sprouts or cabbage don't affect either of us.

I also wonder if the beer that is causing the issues is cloudy and/or filled with sediment. If you can drink a 6 pack of Sierra Nevada, you should be able to drink a 6 pack of well made homebrew and have the same results.

I wonder if it's a diet/tolerance issue more than anything. We've always eaten healthy with lots of veggies

I'm pretty sure it's not a diet thing. If eating healthy with lots of veggies prevents beer farts, I would have problems keeping my feet on the ground :(

I also doubt it's a diet/veggie thing - I get plenty of those. I just notice, and a few other HB buddies notice as well, more gasiness after a couple homebrews than after a few local craft brews. And as you all know, some of your friends will want to drink this stuff on occassion, they're not interested in developing a tolerance to the beer that can create farts/upset stomachs. There has to be an answer somewhere!!!

I also doubt it's a diet/veggie thing - I get plenty of those. I just notice, and a few other HB buddies notice as well, more gasiness after a couple homebrews than after a few local craft brews. And as you all know, some of your friends will want to drink this stuff on occassion, they're not interested in developing a tolerance to the beer that can create farts/upset stomachs. There has to be an answer somewhere!!!

That's my point, though- I've provided beer for events like a retirement party (15 gallons went!) and no one complained of gas/diarrhea/etc. I think maybe a beer that isn't clear could have more suspended "stuff" in it that may cause the issues, but it could also be that more complex carbs play a part.

Since I've never had a diet with simple sugars, I can't say that doesn't play a part, if that makes sense. Even when I ate wheat a few years ago, I always ate complex carbs like whole wheat. Once I gave up wheat and other carbs, I didn't notice a change at all with beer. I wonder if it's a combination of diet for some (people that are "used" to simple sugars and not long chained sugars), and young not-clear beer.

When I give beer to friends, it looks and feels and tastes like commercial craft beer- no cloudiness or murkiness. I can see how a yeasty beer could cause digestive issues, but that's never been an issue for me.

My cider i cold crashed gives me some massive stomach problems but when i let it ferment out and drop everything out of suspension no problems whatsoever.

I think it has a lot to do with drinking the beer too green and drinking the sediment/active yeast

On a side note, I farted so loud this morning I woke up myself, swmbo and the fish in the tank next to the bed.

Swmbo: *mumble mumble* Batten down the hatches....

I'm a pretty gassy person, but I've noticed that when I'm drinking I actually don't fart. Go figure. I cracked open my first homebrew which is a honey hefeweizen and the bottom of each bottle has a nice thick layer of yeast. Mixed it back into suspension and enjoyed, no gas.

Yeast does cause gas, could it be the amount of carbonation as well? Pour a big head and you can remove a fair amount of carbonation which reduces belching and possibly flatulence I won't get into the whole head debate, so that's beside the point.

Drink a lot..... eventually your system will get used to it.

The other thing about drinking a lot is then you don't care if you fart..

win win situation.

+1, including the latter :D

with time and consistency your body learns how to deal with it.

Latest posts

Back