Show us your sculpture or brew rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here it is, simple and perfect for my needs (for now).

DSCN3536.jpg

DSCN3541.jpg

DSCN3543.jpg

DSCN3549.jpg

DSCN3546.jpg

Sort of, I use a 2000W heat stick. With the insulation on it, it doesn't take too long for the water to heat up and it keeps temps very well.

Almost exactly like my system, but the element is installed in my HLT. It does work pretty well. I just start heating up the water first and prep everything else while its doing it's thing. And you don't have to worry about overshooting your h2o temp if you lose track of time because it heats up nice and gently.

How accurate is that thermometer? That's one thing I'm missing from mine.

Almost exactly like my system, but the element is installed in my HLT. It does work pretty well. I just start heating up the water first and prep everything else while its doing it's thing. And you don't have to worry about overshooting your h2o temp if you lose track of time because it heats up nice and gently.

How accurate is that thermometer? That's one thing I'm missing from mine.

/agree. I wasnt sure if I was going to keep it electric so decided not to install a permanent heating element. I have another 2000W heat stick I can throw in to speed things up. Unfortunately I cant hook both in my garage at one time due to Amps available but like you said with a little planning one works just fine.
As for the thermometer, it works fine but you have to stir the water every once in a while or else it will read low. Another function the Heat stick works well for. Pretty sure I ordered mine through Bargain Fittings. :mug:

EDIT Just went to look at your rig, they are very similar, you are alot more automated then I am. Nice rig.

Yeah, the drawer is definitely good to have. It was one of those cheap plastic / Rubbermaid type drawers that I had lying around so I just screwed it into the brew stand and it holds all of the miscellaneous stuff in one place. Thats the advantage of a wooden brew stand...you can easily add stuff on to it.

genious idea! I'm going to have to pick one up next time I pass HD, it'll clean up a lot of the random things SWMBO gets annoyed with ;)

I took a some quick cell phone pics of my rig this morning to help a fellow HBT'er come up with a design. I built my rig about 6 months ago out of wood. It looks black due to a coat of grill paint. My favorite part about the design is that I was able to integrate the old kettle, the SQ14 burner, and my igloo MLT and HLT all into the rig. It beats balancing everything on buckets, no more lifting, and it has a really small, low footprint. I can also break it down to 2 pieces to fit in my car when I brew at a friend's house, because the tallest part (that holds the mash tun) is attached to the bottom section with 3/8" bolts and wingnuts. Clearly, it is inspired by the B3 1550, but it is the only one I have seen that was built out of wood. I will also give credit to slobrewer.com who has a prettly slick 1550 style steel rig that he welded up himself.

The first picture just clearly labels all the components. The second picture shows the flow of liquid during the circular fly sparge. I also tossed in a picture of the mashout recirc and one of the jamil-o-chiller, but those are both pretty commonly known processes. I am thinking of starting a new thread (with a halfway decent camera) to closely cover the entire brewday process and some components like my mash tun, the filter assembly, and my three valve pump priming system, because they are all pretty unique designs. If I get around to taking those pictures, I'll edit this post with a link to the new thread.

Joe

1550 LITE.jpg

circular fly sparge.jpg

mash out recirc.jpg

jamil o chiller.jpg

Here is my custom 3 tier gravity feed system. Build from old desk i pulled out of the college metal dumpster:

3-tier1.jpg

Just doing a test run on it now. If all goes well I'll be making a batch of Ed Worts haus pale ale tomorrow morning.

image-3146245390.jpg

Flomaster said:
wow how high if your top keggle looks to be about 8' tall or there abouts

-=Jason=-

Yeah it's up high, but I'm 6' 4". I can just get the water in standing on my toes.

I guess I'll join the club.
img140291fo8.jpg

Just curious how you ground the weld areas down so flat? I dont see any waves in the areas at all. Im considering trying out the new metabo burnishing tool, looks like a pretty promising tool for working with alot of stainless

ElevenBrewCo said:
1 inch rubber foam insulation used on plant chillers. Does a great job

Sent from my DROIDX using Home Brew Talk

Do you have a link to this product? I googles it but didn't come up with anything. Can it be purchased at HD?

nspaldi0 said:
Thanks for the links. Did you purchase through them or through a distributor?

Im actually an hvac tech so i had extra laying around our shop. I have no idea where to order it from just the name. Sorry

Sent from my DROIDX using Home Brew Talk

Here's mine. Nothing special, but it works and that's all that matters.

IMG_2042.JPG
[/IMG]

This is an awesome use of space. Love it. Now I need to throw away my brew sculpture and go get a basketball hoop set up. Its gonna be all the Rage, a new meaning to march Madness! hehe :mug:

Yessir! Although I don't think I'll ever try to use them both at the same time. I don't want to chance an errant shot landing in the brew kettle. :D

AC, how are those arms connected to the bball post? I'm a three tier guy but i wasn't sure about the single post route. Do those disconnect on the off season?

AC, how are those arms connected to the bball post? I'm a three tier guy but i wasn't sure about the single post route. Do those disconnect on the off season?

No arms are used in this sculpture. The kegs are attached to the post using 1/2" machine bolts (1 for each keg). The burners hand from the bottom skirts using 1/8" thick wire rope. You can see close ups of the burner configuration in my build thread.

And so as not to piss off my neighbors, the only time the kegs are hung is when I am brewing. :D

Back